Doug's shop tour

Doug Sinjem

Well I finally got around to taking some pictures of the shop in a somewhat organized manner. The shop is on the same property as my concrete business. Up until a few months ago it was leased out to another party. Since they moved out I did some major remodeling and added on a little bit. The shop is roughly 23x80. Here's a few exterior shots.Shop Tour 002.jpg

Shop Tour 001.jpg

Now onto the equipment. Here's the Ritter line boring machine set up for line boring.Shop Tour 003.jpg

This pictures shows a rack I'm going to primarily use for sheet good storage. Right now it's still a bit cluttered.Shop Tour 004.jpg

The next two pictures show the 20" martin jointer, the second shows how long the bed is. It also has a hookup for a power feeder but I doubt I will use it.Shop Tour 005.jpgShop Tour 006.jpg

The next two are of the 24" planer. It's set up next to the jointer in a space saving configuration.Shop Tour 007.jpgShop Tour 008.jpg

The last picture for this post shows the edgebander. It's a Brandt, does up to 3 mm, laminates, all tapes and solid wood up to 3mm if you mill it yourself.Shop Tour 009.jpg

I'm going to have to make two more posts to get the rest of the pictures in. I'm new to posting pictures and text so I hope it came out all right.

Regards Doug

Here's the Martin Slider, it's the T 60 with a 3.3 meter slide and manually adjustable scoring.

View attachment 1147

This is a close uo of the control panel. It shows blade height, angle and distance to rip fence.

View attachment 1148

This shows a panel support bar that fits anywhere along the slider. It can be used by itself to help support large panel and it can also be used with the parallel fence attachment.

View attachment 1149

Here's one moe shot from a different view.

Shop Tour 013.jpg

These two show the Castle pocket machine and also a refrigerated dryer for the compressed air system. I ran a 1" copper line about 80 feet from my other shop to feed the woodshop.

Shop Tour 014.jpg

Shop Tour 015.jpg

This pic shows the DC. It's a dantherm 7.5 hp The ducting starts out at 11" dia. and drops down to 4" at the furthest machine.

Shop Tour 016.jpg

Shop Tour 017.jpg

I found this saw on the internet. It was purchased brand new in 2000 by a gentleman that was going to start a furniture business. It never happened and the saw never even had a blade on it and was still on the original shipping pallet when I got it.

It's an 18" Northfield with 7.5 motor. I think it was the only year they used this color, it's kind of a light yellow. The following year they went back to the green. It is a beast and weighs in at a mere 2000 pounds. Just a little less the the slider. I got it primarly for a rip saw for hardwoods and equiped it with a power feed. It was such a good deal I couldn't pass it up. I negotiated with the guy and I paid for shipping.

Shop Tour 018.jpg

Shop Tour 019.jpg

I think one more post will show everything else.

Regards Doug

Last edited:
Ok here's the final set of pics.
Wall mounted lumber rack, loaded with 4/4 maple

Shop Tour 020.jpg

This unisaw is going to be used mostly for dado cuts, especially for the grooves in cabinets for the 1/4 backs. I'm going set up a power feed and have a 1/4+ dado blade made up and run the parts backwards (with the feeder of course) Kind of the same principle of a scoring blade. This will extend the life of the blade and keep the malemine from chipping.

Shop Tour 021.jpg

This shows the chop saw station and general bench for hand tools etc.

Shop Tour 022.jpg

This is a single head butfering 37" wide belt, it pulls 50 amps! Also I made a storage rack for the belts out of pvc closet rings and 4" abs pipe.

Shop Tour 023.jpg

These two tools are great to have around-parts cart and panel cart.

Shop Tour 025.jpg

Shop Tour 026.jpg

This spot is reserved for the shaper. It's already got the power(disconnect) air supply and two 5" ducts for DC. It should be here by xmas. I'll wait and give more info on it later when I can show pictures of it.

Shop Tour 027.jpg

The last three are overall shop pics.

Shop Tour 028.jpg

Shop Tour 029.jpg

Shop Tour 030.jpg

Wow Doug,

Once I get over the immense tool-envy, I'll post a few comments and questions. In the mean time, I'll be slobbering on my keyboard looking at the pictures.

Thanks for posting...I think...:huh:

- Marty -

Wow Doug,

Once I get over the immense tool-envy, I'll post a few comments and questions. In the mean time, I'll be slobbering on my keyboard looking at the pictures.

Thanks for posting...I think...:huh:

- Marty -

Thanks for the kind words Marty. I'm sure your going to have some nice equipment in your shop. You have to!! It wouldn't be right after you put all that work into your beautiful shop.

Btw youv'e never really elaborated on what toys are going in there except your new slider. How about a few hints.

Doug

Marty, I now need a new keyboard. Do they make water (slobber) proof models? Wow is right, Doug. Those are some serious machines! Nice setup! And what part of the concrete business are you in? I grew up in a redi-mix concrete business owned by my grandparents. My dad was the plant foreman. Lots of good memories, but it was a tough business.
(sigh) Now I have to force myself to go out to my shop in the morning and work on my cyclone chip barrel..... :D Jim.

Marty, I now need a new keyboard. Do they make water (slobber) proof models? Wow is right, Doug. Those are some serious machines! Nice setup! And what part of the concrete business are you in? I grew up in a redi-mix concrete business owned by my grandparents. My dad was the plant foreman. Lots of good memories, but it was a tough business.
(sigh) Now I have to force myself to go out to my shop in the morning and work on my cyclone chip barrel..... :D Jim.

Thanks Jim,

I specialize in place and finish. Mostly industrial floor slabs, tilt-up panels, structual and metal decks. It's all labor and a ton of equipment. We have a about 10 flatbeds, 20 ride on trowels and about 40 walk behaind trowels. Plus a bunch of other misc. equipment and small machine shop and a fulltime mechanic.

Yes it's a very tough and stresfull business. The last floor we completed started at 1 am in the morning and we poured about 55,000 sq ft. a day which is approx. 1,250 yards per day(125 redimix trucks) for 12 days straight.

Out here in So. Cal the big supplier is Robertsons redimix.

Doug

Thanks for the kind words Marty. I'm sure your going to have some nice equipment in your shop. You have to!! It wouldn't be right after you put all that work into your beautiful shop.

Btw youv'e never really elaborated on what toys are going in there except your new slider. How about a few hints.

Doug

Doug,

Rest assured, I will NOT have the caliber of equipment you've shown us here!! Perhaps if I already had a shop, and didn't have to spend all my time and money building one, I might...just might...have the luxury of such first class gear! No, on second thought, you have more money tied up in equipment than I do in my shop. Never mind...:eek:

As for hints as to what's going in my shop....

NOPE! :rofl:

It'll be clear enough when I get the floor done and start wheeling the stuff in. But as I said, it'll be a kids starter-set of what you have.

Oh, and I almost forgot, I wanted to compliment you on having some sawdust around. Nothing worse than a sparkling clean shop...:thumb:

Still drooling...
- Marty -

HOLY SMOKES....that's a lot of concrete Doug....and I cry when I have to finish 12 yards.

Your shop and tools are absolutely wonderful....makes me want to give up.

Thanks for the tour.:thumb:

wow!

what an impressive shop doug.......with an edgebander and line boring machine i`m bettin` on either high end residential kitchens or commercial cabinetry? how many folks do you have working for you? do you have any photos of your work? once again........very cool shop! tod

wow!

what an impressive shop doug.......with an edgebander and line boring machine i`m bettin` on either high end residential kitchens or commercial cabinetry? how many folks do you have working for you? do you have any photos of your work? once again........very cool shop! tod

I don't have anyone employes as of yet. This has become my second job. I'm gearing up for when concrete slows down.

I've built several homes over the years and plan to do more of the millwork, passage doors, cabinets etc. I'm in the planning stages of a new custom home now. But my focus is high end residential cabinets emphasis on the 32mm system.

Doug

Wow, now THAT'S a shop! You're set up for some high-output production. Although, based on the size of conctere pours you're talking about, "Production" must be your middle name. I've been an inspector on quite a few big pours, and any time you're doing more than a thousand yards a day, you're kicking some serious behind.

Have you ever done any "superflat" industrial slabs? I've not seen any, but have heard quite a bit about them from others. One warehouse my dad was involved with had a slab that was to within 1/100th of a foot in a 100' span. That was years ago, so I no longer keep up with what's on the cutting edge of concrete these days.

Thanks for the tour, Doug.

Wow, now THAT'S a shop! You're set up for some high-output production. Although, based on the size of conctere pours you're talking about, "Production" must be your middle name. I've been an inspector on quite a few big pours, and any time you're doing more than a thousand yards a day, you're kicking some serious behind.

Have you ever done any "superflat" industrial slabs? I've not seen any, but have heard quite a bit about them from others. One warehouse my dad was involved with had a slab that was to within 1/100th of a foot in a 100' span. That was years ago, so I no longer keep up with what's on the cutting edge of concrete these days.

Thanks for the tour, Doug.

I worked on a super flat with another contractor. We poured 14' wide bays, user magnesium 2x4s and see sawed over and over again. The spec is whats called and F min 100 for flatness. Superflats are entirely a whole different animal than a regular wherehouse floor.

Now most of the floors we do have specs of FF50 FL35...thats floor flatness and levelness. We use a laser screes and ride on trowels with metal pans attached to the bottom of the riders and it gives us a pretty flat floor.

Doug

Hey Doug,
What happened ? you went all Martin and Butfering and then to a Ritter line borer??? did you run out of money ;) :D Is that T60 the one that tilts both ways? By the way your shop is way too clean and if you ever decide to venture over to the East Coast to build some homes I know a good Architect you can call

Doug,

Those are some quality tools you have there and a great overall setup. I can't even imagine using a 20" jointer thankfully. It makes coveting it a lot harder ;) Thanks for the tour. You've got a great place.

Hey Doug,
What happened ? you went all Martin and Butfering and then to a Ritter line borer??? did you run out of money ;) :D Is that T60 the one that tilts both ways? By the way your shop is way too clean and if you ever decide to venture over to the East Coast to build some homes I know a good Architect you can call

Paul funny you should say that. I was on the phone yesterday with my Salesman for Louis and Company complaining about the ritter. I'm not happy with the accuracy or should I say it's set up. It has to be set up all by trial and error. I trying to switch it and go for my first choice....Gannomat Format 42

Doug