Cultivating New Business???

Randy Privett

In Memorium
I was wondering, how do some of you go about getting new business.
I'm talking about selling your turnings. Over the years, I have developed a few friends that require my turnings from time to time. These turnings will be shown at model homes that are for sale in new additions, or open houses that are on the market. These people are Real Estate Sales Persons and Furniture Stores that supply furniture to the Real Estate people. After probably 6 months, the lady from the furniture store called yesterday and wanted 3 new pieces. She had sold 2 of the pieces that she had in her store, (I forgot all about them) and she wanted to come out and talk about what she wanted. I spent all day today with her watching over my shoulder as I turned. What a PITA, but the money is good. I will try to finish them tomorrow and with any luck she won't be here. I will try to post pics.
I thought I would share this with you guys, you never know who will buy your turnings.

Congrats Randy. Sounds like you got a sales outlet. I take mine down to the floral/craft store. Have sold a few pieces most ornaments, mini birdhouses, a few bowls and a few vases. Not much but keeps me in supplies and wood.

I hadn't thought about real estate agents. I've got a pretty good connection with the lady that's helped me through three home sales or purchases...I think I'll get in touch with her and chat.

Must have been a royal pain trying to turn with a client looking over your shoulder. Reminds me of the sign you sometimes see in mechanic's shops. Something like:

Hourly Rate: $25
If you watch: $50
If you help: $75

Congrats on the sale. But I would never let a client, like that, watch while I am working. Being a PITA is minor to liability and just plain giving away secrets. I'll betcha she will want a lower price from you next time. "Oh, it looked SO EASY and didn't take you that much time." No way, no how, not never, this kid.

Frank,
She has never complained about the price, she knows business. She knows what she wants in form, I don't always agree with her, but seeing that she's paying the freight, I'll do anything within reason she wants me to do.

Vaughn,
Check with the higher end furniture stores, the ones that show the furniture in room groupings. They always like to set a few bowls and HF around on the end tables. Sometimes you do a consignment deal, but when they sell...

Bernie,
Thanks for the comments, it goes to show, you never know where you'll find customers.

Well, here are some pictures, such as they are. I grabbed these up and put them on the table on the back porch as she waited. The I wasn't satisfied with the HF's form, but it was exactly what she wanted, customers always right. This thing was self destructing while I was turning it. I think that's why she told me to stop where I was at. Simple bowl with a little rim and a small bowl with rim. If I had more time, I wanted to dimple or give the rim some texture. There again customers always right. All made from maple just buffed with triple e and waxed, no oil or anything. Their all down the road and monies in the pocket.

Attachments

• DSC01002.JPG
    DSC01002.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC01003.JPG
    DSC01003.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC01004.JPG
    DSC01004.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC01005.JPG
    DSC01005.JPG