Is football talk banned?

Football?? Never follow any teams. Of course then there's the Superbowl... we have watched that simply for entertainment value of the commercials....:rofl:

Denise

Only thing I am sure of is my 3 favorite teams won....

Green Bay Packers
Michigan State Spartans

and ANY team that plays u of m.

That better mean the University of Minnesota, or Michigan, because if it means the University of Maine I am headed your way and...

Oh wait, we are talking football here. I only care about hockey. I admit, I cried when MN beat Maine in the Frozen Four!

Only thing I am sure of is my 3 favorite teams won....

Green Bay Packers
Michigan State Spartans

and ANY team that plays u of m.

C'mon Steve, do you really root for Ohio State? Even I root for MSU when the play Ohio State. How can anyone root for Ohio State? :wave:

And with the near total lack of defense for the ole wolverines and the possibility that Henne has been knocked out for the season, I may have to join my wife in rooting for the ole Spare Tans all season just to get a Michigan team to win the Big Ten (or is that the Big Eleven? :rolleyes:).

Football???

Football??

Football isn't even a sport. I don't watch it so I don't understand the game one bit, but it seems to me the second they get the ball and start doing something...that is after talking about it for ten minutes, a whistle is blown and they stop and do it all over again. It just doesn't make sense.

Then there is that stupid ball they call a ball. It's not even round, so calling it a ball is a big stretch.

Then there is the goal. It's something like ten yards deep and fifty yards wide, who in their right mind could not get a itty bitty tiny football thing into something that big? Heck I could do that. Same can be said for the upright things. I could kick an oblong ball into something that big. Jeesh...

Now hockey, that is a sport. Those guys have razor blades tied to their feet, they have clubs in their hands, they are allowed to fight, the rules are super simple and there is no out of bounds, and they are playing on frozen water not some fake grass like thing. Behind the net, in front of the net, there's no escaping a good hard push with these guys skating at 30 mph! In fact its part of the game. In football every time they see someone coming at them they run out of bounds like a scared Gazelle running from a Lion. Not in hockey. Heck they don't even stop the game to change people. That's on the fly. In football they stop every 5 seconds. Last year I watched a hockey game run steady for 7½ minutes with no whistel!! With football the last 2 minutes of the game takes an hour to complete!

Then to score you have to get a frozen puck into a net 4 feet by six feet guarded by an 8 foot giant with enough pads on him to cover six goals. And if by some miracle you do get that frozen black biscuit past the Goalie, you get credited with 1 point. Not seven, not three, but one. You only got it in there once, why get 7 points for it? Of course with football it might be 3 or it might be 1, I guess it depends on when you kick the thing.

I tell you, I watched about 5 minutes of some football game today. Just doesn't make sense to me. Thank goodness I can watch a good sport take place in a few weeks. I've been ready since June!! :thumb:
This is one of the best posts I've read, truly hilarious.

I used to play American Football in high school, but thats about where my interest in the sport ends. I'm not into watching sports on TV but if I had to choose one, it would be hockey, since it has all the roughness of football at a much faster pace.

Well, like Billy Burt, (and living 20 miles from where he grew up), I am also a Cowboy Fan and have been since they first fielded a team, (not particularly a fan of the owner though).:rolleyes: I also like to Root for a couple of other teams (if they aren't playing the Cowboys), and they are "The Pack", and the Saints. My College Favorites are Texas A&M and Oklahoma, we had 7 from my HS in Texas on the OU team at one time, (I even had an opportunity to play there).

Last but definitely not least, is one of our High School Teams, The Permian Panthers, also known as "MOJO", who were National Champs one year, (naturally that was when I was working overseas and missed the whole thing),:( We were down for a while due to a poor selection of three head coaches in a row, Buuuuuut.......were on our way back now.:thumb:

Note: Billy Burt's old hometown, Midland, has had some excellent High School Teams as well.:thumb: Hey, we gotta have SOMETHING to do on Friday Night out here in the desert.:D

I couldn't let this thread slip by unanswered.

I am a Cowboys fan...check that, I am THE Cowboys fan. I have been since Eddie LeBaron quarterbacked them in 1961. I cheer for the Cowboys and whichever team is playing the Philadelphia Eagles.

I'm also a Texas Longhorns fan and also cheer for whichever team is playing against Notre Dame.

BTW, both Notre Dame AND Michigan are staring Oh and Three squarely in the face. :eek:

And for you Canadians, I also follow the Dallas Stars hockey team. ;)

And for you Canadians, I also follow the Dallas Stars hockey team. ;)

Wow, you are really throwing salt on the wound aren't you. Not to the Canadians mind you, but the MN's.

They are called the hockey state and for the first few years I worked there they did not have any pro hockey team. I used to tease them all the time...How come you don't have a hockey team and yet Texas does? Man that would get their dander up. (For those that don't know, the Dallas Stars used to be the MN North Stars before the owener got into some trouble with the Mob and had to move out of dodge and fast)

The railroad there had season tickets and me and my secretary went to a game one time. Of course it was the Islanders versus the Wild. All was good until the Islanders scored first. I jumped up and yelled in jubilation as they are my team...only to realize me and another guy did too...on the other side of the arena. The excel Energy center can look pretty intimidating when you got 17,567 Wild fans ready to kill you!!

Yeah, Minnesota's loss was our gain cause the Stars have been a good team from the get-go. I don't know how much longer Modano will play, though and he's the heart and soul of that team. He's also the last remaining North Star player in Dallas.

FWIW, I began following the Stars even before they came to Dallas. I got caught up in their improbable run to the Stanley Cup finals in 1991 against Pittsburg. They lost the finals but had a chance and shouldn't have been there to begin with after posting a losing season. Great stuff.

BTW, be careful supporting your team in hostile territory. I read on SI's site today where a guy wearing a Texas Longhorn shirt went into a bar near Norman Oklahoma...Sooner territory. As he was paying out, a Sooner fan grabbed him by the crotch, nearly ripping out his er, privates. Took a bunch of stitches to patch the guy up.

Last edited:
Well, like Billy Burt, (and living 20 miles from where he grew up)...

Last but definitely not least, is one of our High School Teams, The Permian Panthers, also known as "MOJO", who were National Champs one year, (naturally that was when I was working overseas and missed the whole thing),:( We were down for a while due to a poor selection of three head coaches in a row, Buuuuuut.......were on our way back now.:thumb:

Note: Billy Burt's old hometown, Midland, has had some excellent High School Teams as well.:thumb: Hey, we gotta have SOMETHING to do on Friday Night out here in the desert.:D

Yep! Midland Lee, Norman. LOML graduated from MHS, as did my dad. He played football w/Wahoo McDaniel.

Oh, and if you saw the movie "Friday Night Lights", it's about one of the Panthers' loosing seasons. And I could go into some of Permian's old recruiting practices, but... let's just say that they rivaled many universities.:D

And Norman can attest to this. I've sat in a number of Texas HS stadiums that are bigger than many university stadiums. We take our HS football quite seriously.

Yep! Midland Lee, Norman. LOML graduated from MHS, as did my dad. He played football w/Wahoo McDaniel.

Oh, and if you saw the movie "Friday Night Lights", it's about one of the Panthers' loosing seasons. And I could go into some of Permian's old recruiting practices, but... let's just say that they rivaled many universities.:D

And Norman can attest to this. I've sat in a number of Texas HS stadiums that are bigger than many university stadiums. We take our HS football quite seriously.
Attested AND Agreed to.:thumb::D

Well, Billy, MHS is much stronger these days than Lee, (and has been for a couple of years. Incidentally, Fox Sports Net will be televising the Permian Panthers vs Euless Trinity game Nationally tonight, Sat 9/15 07 at 6:30 PM CST. Since we are still rebuilding, I don't expect us to win this one, but it will give the coaches and us fans a feel for where we are in our rebuilding process. The DFW area will be well represented nationally today, as South Lake Carol (USA Today's national #1 pick) vs a Miami Fla HS (USA Today's #2 national pick) will also be televised nationally (sometime this afternoon IIRC) playing at the SMU Stadium.

You mentioned "Friday Night Lights", well we were in the stands when they filmed a lot of crowd footage during several of the games, but then later, they placed inflated white plastic bags in all the seats and filmed that and then dubbed other crowd faces and bodies in, in the cutting room, (I have no idea how OR why that was done).:huh::dunno: The film wasn't "quite" as much of a "farce" as the Book, (which was definitely Fiction). Interesting thing about the scenery setting was that ONE fleeting glance of a shot from a moving car, of the front of Permian High School was the ONLY shot of local scenes that was taken in the Permian district of town. All the other shots were taken on the OHS side of town.:rolleyes::doh::dunno:

FYI, the Abilene Eagles are purported to be the team to beat (again this year) in District 3-5A, (our district).

Side note: I didn't go to school here, but the first year Permian HS opened, they had NO Seniors or a Graduating class, because they let the LOML's class, who were Seniors that year, vote as to whether they wanted to go over to Permian or stay at OHS and graduate there, and they voted to stay at OHS, but our daughters both Graduated from Permian.

YEEEEEEEEE .....HAW!!!!!!!!!

Now I know that 's not what you would be expected to say, (even in Texas), when you're wrong,:eek: but in this case I'm sure glad I was wrong.:thumb: I don't know if any of you watched the previously mentioned High School Football Game on Fox Sports Net last night or not, so I'll just explain my elation like this. Even though we were out sized considerably, (their offensive line averaged 295 lbs, and our defensive line averaged 213 lbs), our Permian Panthers literally controlled the majority of the game by causing fumbles, making interceptions,and then capitalizing on them, and won the game 30 to 3, (and we missed one field goal and had one field goal and two extra point attempts blocked). Soooooooo, ..........I guess I was "VERY WRONG" about how far we have come in the rebuilding process. Boy, I know that 325 mile ride home was sure a long one for the Trinity Trojans, especially since they were rated # 5 in the State, and hoping for a repeat of the 40/14 win thay had against us last year.

Go "MOJO" :thumb::thumb:

Well, it's Doorlink's birthday today. The doors didn't get done yesterday... all the parts got cut, but I had a little router table accident. Who knew a router collet could work loose? and at about 20,000 rpm? Scary moment with both bit and bit extender flying off the table. Yikes! All is well, but the plate ring is pretty chewed up...

Anyway, here's the problem: I can get the doors done once she gets home from church and I'm off-duty from James-sitting. But this evening the Chargers are playing... we rarely get to see them on this forsaken coast. Of course, instead of watching them, I have to take Doorlink to dinner. And they're playing Boston, so I'm hoping for sweet revenge after last year's playoffs.

Oh, well... maybe I can catch the fourth quarter... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Ya know, I've read all through this thread and some folks have mentioned something called "Superbowl"????? Is that some sort of big college game? Here in CA, we've heard rumors that football is played after December but I can't seem to find out much about it with the CA teams. Playoffs??????........what's a playoff?

Ya know, I've read all through this thread and some folks have mentioned something called "Superbowl"????? Is that some sort of big college game? Here in CA, we've heard rumors that football is played after December but I can't seem to find out much about it with the CA teams. Playoffs??????........what's a playoff?

Naaaam Mark, a "Superbowl" in Ca. is what a teenage boy eats his breakfast ceral from. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

PS: Sometimes Texas Boys eat from that same Bowl.:D