Rebirth of a lathe, needs a name?

Jeff Bower

I told you all some time ago that I would be redoing my lathe. Well most is done. New Base and new paint. All that is left to be done is replacement of the bearings (next weekend) and adding a ballast box for sand to make it more stable. I will add pics below, but here is how it looked when I started.

Attachments

• lathe web1.jpg
    lathe web1.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 99
Here are some pics of the new base made from pressure treated 4X4 and 2X4 I had laying around. Added a shelf to make it stronger that will be bottom of the box to add sand to make it more stable.

Attachments

• basepaint.jpg
    basepaint.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 49
  • basepaint1.jpg
    basepaint1.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 38
Sanded and ground down and ready for primer....and then primed. Looking much better already. Last pic is the tool rests, banjo, tailstock and the 1X8 tpi bolt that goes through the tailstock that is bored for 1/2 bolts. Has a "nonlive" center and a jacubs chuch that can go in it.

Attachments

• primedaccess.jpg
    primedaccess.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 33
  • primer.jpg
    primer.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 31
  • preprimer.jpg
    preprimer.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 24
The finished paint job. I haven't painted the pillow blocks that hold the bearings. I want to wait until I have the old bearing out to get a better finish. I will post more detailed pics I have when I have more time. thanks for looking.

Forgot to mention I went with Massey Furgeson gray for the paint. Jeff Horton reccomended the paint and if you ask me it looks like it will be hard as nails. thanks for the tip Jeff

Attachments

• finishbase.jpg
    finishbase.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 26
  • finishlathe.jpg
    finishlathe.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 37
  • finished.jpg
    finished.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
I forgot to mention my idea for a name. The original base that was white in color is from a Maytag Model B-10 clothing press/iron...and the motor and speed control are from a clothes washing machine, but don't know what brand. I thought of just calling it the B-10 or The Maytag, but thought maybe someone might come up with something else:dunno:

Looking good, but why is the tail stock end hanging way off in space like that? :huh:

I DO name some of my machines, ones that have my sweat and blood in them, not the store bought ones, usually.

I'd just wait, no hurry to name it, if it is going to be named, a name will come, you never know from where.

Cheers!

Stu, the tailstock end has looked like that since it was made. The longest thing I've ever turned was a bb bat for my BIL...and the tailstock didn't get out to far past the end of the stand. I need to take some measurements to see what the total length of the bed is between spindles??:huh:

I think you're right about the name....it will come to me with time.

Looks good. I was with Stu on the tail end sticking out... I'd put some orange flagging tape there, and maybe pad it also. Looks like a recipe for "ouch".

And shoot, grey again, "Vaughn Purple" lost out... :D:rolleyes:

Art, the end won't be sticking out like it is in the pic. I have it pulled away from the wall it sets up against. I have a cabinet that tucks under it too, so the only "ouch" would/did come when I was prepping for paint. I hit my head on it as I was grinding some paint off the base.:doh:

I don't know why you guys think you have to make a sand box to make the lathe more stable?:huh: Widen the footprint will accomplish the same effect. A wide stance on the base will lower the center of gravity the so many folks think has to be weighted down. you can remain light weight if the stance is wider. Splay the legs forward back and to the sides will make a wider footprint and create the lower center of gravity that you wish.

BTW Correct Speed, Mounting, and Stance will make yor turning much easier. forget the Sand focus on the size/shape of the stand.

Draw a line from the spindle to the foot of the stand. Swing an arc with a compass... Do you have to raise the bed to turn it over? Then you have a lowered center of gravity, the more you have to raise the bed, the lower the center of gravity... Use your Physic lessons instead of your weights.

Last edited:
You mean like this Bill.........

bolted_down_blank_chucked2.jpg

I did put a sand box on it too, and my whole stand weighs something like 250 Kg or 550 lbs and is rock solid :thumb:

I agree that a wide stance is good, but add some weight to that and it is really good! :D

Name suggestion from Mom

At first I thought you should work KP into the name somehow, since your grandpa KP build the lathe orginially, but now I like Maytag the best. It would be a good conversation starter, allowing KP to work his way in.
Mom

Thanks for all the comments....

Bill S. I did make the base about 6 inches wider when I added the new base to raise the lathe about 6". My grandpa was shorter than me. It makes it much more comfortable for me too. It is much more stable, but I still will add a sandbox to it to make it heavier.

Bart, I've been accuse of having dunlap belly disease, because my belly dolap over my belt. :rofl: I'm working on that though.

Thanks again to everyone. I will update this thread with more pics as I finish up more with the "still unamed" lathe.

As someone who has a "Hoover" label on his dust collector, I think "The Maytag" would be an appropriate name for your lathe. ;) (I could even make you a magnetic nameplate.) I'll bet your granddad would be happy to see your work.

Hoover%20DC%202%20800.jpg

Nice job on cleaning up your lathe. :thumb: