Daryl's Most Excellent Vacation

Karl Laustrup

Well, this is a little late getting posted, but I've been without the internet since sometime during the night.

After a trip across Lake Michigan, which was not very smooth [4-5 foot swells coming out of the south when we were going east] we landed on Michigan soil. We were able to avoid detection by the first defenders and found our way to Charlotte.

Darrell was attending a meeting. At least that's what he said. Personally, I think it was a special showing of at least 2 Three Stooges movies. We were greeted by Darrell's waaaay better half, Judy. After catching up on stuff, we retired to begin our adventure Friday.

Larry and his waaaay better half Randi came over and joined us for a most excellent breakfast prepared by Darrell. Part of the breakfast was provided by Randi who brought homemade biscuits and gravy. WOW!!! Good.
IMG_1254.jpg

Judy and LOML Carole
IMG_1256.jpg

Larry and Randi
IMG_1255.jpg

After some great food we split up and the girls headed their way and Larry, Darrell and Daryl headed for Johnsons Work Bench for the Wood Expo.

Larry and Darrell
IMG_1258.jpg

Just some of the power tools on display
IMG_1259.jpg

This stack had just come out of the sawmill. It said Honduran mahogany on one of the boards.
IMG_1265.jpg

I bought some Gross-Stabil Scott Phillips signature clamps. I got 2-48", 2-32" and 2-24" at a really good price.

Then it was off to check out stuff at the auction that was going to be held Saturday.

More to come later.

Daryl [aka Karl]

Last edited:
Saturday dawned early. A big day at the auction was in store. Darrell had his eye on a JD Patio Mower. I didn't even know what it was, but found out that they are quite rare and fetch a good price when in good shape.

Larry and Randi found their way over again, except this morning we went out for a pancake breakfast. :thumb:

Judy, Darrell and Randi
IMG_1268.jpg

This is the Patio Mower. It went for $225. If refurbed correctly it could bring upwards of $3k.:eek::thumb:
IMG_1271.jpg

This is just some of the lawn and garden tractors that were for sale.
IMG_1275.jpg

Here's some of the wood up for auction. This is cherry, but there was some maple and either oak or ash also.
IMG_1273.jpg

Not sure what any of the wood went for as we left shortly after the Patio Mower sold. No Darrell didn't even bid. He and I discussed it before it went under the gavel and it just had a lot of things wrong with it and Darrell knee deep in aligators right now anyway. They had 5 rings going, but it was slower than molasses in January and it was in the 80's. They started at 9:30 and I don't think they finished until around 6 PM.

The women took off again and we headed back to Johnsons for another look see. Wandered around again and I checked out the various DP's on display. Also checked out them spinny thingys.

I only wish I could have a Johnsons Workbench as close as Darrell is to this store. Of course if I did I'd probably be even poorer than I am now.

The day was capped by spaghetti with homemade sauce that Judy had just put up. Great sauce and great company. What more could anyone ask??? Oh, other than homemade mince meat and cherry pie, provided by Randi. WOW!! again

Thanks.

More to come.

Daryl [aka Karl]

Last edited:
Yep, Jim it was this past weekend. I know what you mean about missing it.

Had I lived closer I'm sure I would have bought more than just some clamps.

When we went back Saturday they had some curly maple out that we didn't see Friday. It was really beautiful and had I not had such a long trip home I would have snagged some me thinks.

Karl

On Sunday we prepared to head over to Larry and Randi's house. We packed up and after a nice ride through some very nice Michigan country side we arrived at the "SHOP".
IMG_1288.jpg IMG_1289.jpg

The new shop is going to be the envy of most of us when completed. I was in such awe as Larry took us on an inside tour I didn't even take any pictures. :eek: He has thought the design and setup out very well. As you can see the antenna is there for those Saturday and Sunday football games. ;)

You done good Larry. :thumb:

After a while of talkin' [we hadn't seen each other since Saturday night] us guys took a drive to the Gilmore Auto museum. There was a muscle car meet, but all we did was look at all the old cars.

1932 Pierce Arrow 1934 Packard
IMG_1294.jpg IMG_1300.jpg

1948 Tucker 1958 Impala
IMG_1290.jpg IMG_1303.jpg

The Impala wasn't part of the collection, but was one someone brought and it was for sale. It had every option you could get for a car back then.

Then it was back to Larry's for a fine meal. Caribou, mashed taters, gravy and veggies. And then dessert. I don't see how Larry keeps his svelte body with all that good food. :confused::rofl: Thanks Randi.

Darrell wasn't feeling too good all day :( and didn't even partake of the great meal Randi made.
IMG_1311.jpg

After a group photo [Webster also], it was time to say goodbye to Darrell and Judy. [Sad]
IMG_1310.jpg

We had a most pleasant evening with Larry and Randi and then headed home Monday morning.

Carole and I feel very fortunate to have made friends with the Ash's and Merleau's. :wave: We look forward to doing this again in the near future.

Until then a big THANK YOU for your hospitality. :thumb: We had a great time.

Daryl [aka Karl] and Carole

glad yu made it back

Safely daryl,, enjoyed your visit come again,,, oh and the spellun is in my avatar karl last name alittel difernt:)

Last edited:
Looks like you all had a great time!

Now we know why the Shop was taking it's own sweet time...............how long has that TV antenna been there :eek: :D :wave:

Cheers!

hey how ya doun boss gettun better or still pregnant?

Feel lots better today, was able to go to work yesterday and function okay.

I guess it was stomach flu, musta been those cheese curds from Wisconsin.

Karl, it was indeed our pleasure, wish ole John M. coulda made it too....mebbe next time.

Good thing I missed that auction, I would have been the proud owner of a Patio one way or another.

Glad you guys had a good time. :D

I had every intention of buying that Patio tractor if I could get it for the price I wanted to pay, but the more I looked at what was wrong with it, what needed to be replaced, etc....I began to have second thoughts.

I knew they were rare, but the research Karl and I did in regards to the serial number just didn't support that this one was an original Patio tractor. The seller ( who used to play pro football for da Bears) said it was...the words "buyer beware" kept popping in my head.

Had the serial numbers matched what we had found, I might have been swayed. Having restored a few old hunks or iron the work involved didn't scare me, just the fact that it may not be authentic did.