Ever get a GOOD unasked for GIFT???

I notice a gift I received several years ago that I really like. It is hanging on my wall at the shop. It was unasked for but when recieved it I knew I really liked it.
This is that gift.
Gifts 002.jpg
It was given to me by a friend that makes burglar bars for folks in Houston. Don't you know his business is booming!:D:rofl::rofl:
The other gift was given as thanks for having helped with figuring out the design and building of a kitchen for his mother, he was a pharmacist.
Gifts 001.jpg
Have you ever received a gift that was totally unexpected that you really liked???????

My grandfather's pocket watch as a graduation present. He wanted to help me so much, but never knew how. Little did he know what an impact he had on me.:eek:

Wes

Love the complaint button.

My Brother-In-Law gave me a less than politically correct shop clock.

Basically, a Truckers hat with a Confederate flag and a clock on it.

He sent it to me after he moved to Mississippi.

As ugly and stupid as the thing is, it keeps pretty good time, and I actually use it in the shop for a clock..... :huh:

I also can't top Jim Young's best gift, but this gift was definitely unexpected and good:

DSC_1106 800 LR.jpg DSC_1108 800.jpg

I was talking to my dad about a year ago and mentioned that some day I wanted to buy a used pickup for a lumber hauler, and he immediately said "I might just have one that would make a good lumber hauler." He gave me his pickup and bought himself a car to replace it. (His legs were getting too worn out to drive the 5-speed in the truck, so the car and automatic transmission were a good thing for him.) The price was the cost of a plane ticket to go pick it up (so maybe it doesn't qualify as a gift.) Haven't really had a need for the 4x4 capabilities here in La La Land, but the Tommy Gate on the back has been a real help.

That all said, I much prefer to give unexpected (but needed) gifts than receive them.

My second child.

...my third, fourth, fifth, and sixth child. :eek: :huh: :dunno: :rofl:

Actually, my best friend is a woodworker and very generous guy. I've got several surprise gifts in my shop from a guy who knows what I need and like! Forrest WWII 40T TK, Wixey angle gauge, Woodcraft tenoning jig, Fowler combo square, 220v DC remote control, Gorilla glue, Jeff Jewitt's book, and lots more good stuff...:thumb:

...my third, fourth, fifth, and sixth child. :eek: :huh: :dunno: :rofl:

Actually, my best friend is a woodworker and very generous guy. I've got several surprise gifts in my shop from a guy who knows what I need and like! Forrest WWII 40T TK, Wixey angle gauge, Woodcraft tenoning jig, Fowler combo square, 220v DC remote control, Gorilla glue, Jeff Jewitt's book, and lots more good stuff...:thumb:

I don't suppose he is looking for another best friend? :rofl:

Best unexpected gift? hmmmm
Wifes cousin was at a sale once. He bought the remains of a 212 JD garden tractor for $12. It had a complete hydraulic lift kit on it. IF you can find one they will run you around $600 and up.

I also can't top Jim Young's best gift, but this gift was definitely unexpected and good:

View attachment 12537 View attachment 12538

I was talking to my dad about a year ago and mentioned that some day I wanted to buy a used pickup for a lumber hauler, and he immediately said "I might just have one that would make a good lumber hauler." He gave me his pickup and bought himself a car to replace it. (His legs were getting too worn out to drive the 5-speed in the truck, so the car and automatic transmission were a good thing for him.) The price was the cost of a plane ticket to go pick it up (so maybe it doesn't qualify as a gift.) Haven't really had a need for the 4x4 capabilities here in La La Land, but the Tommy Gate on the back has been a real help.

That all said, I much prefer to give unexpected (but needed) gifts than receive them.

After my dad had a stroke, he gave me his 5 year old Gold Wing. By far the most 'valuable' gift monetarily I've ever gotten. As with you, I did have to fly up and fetch it.

The most fun... A 1975 280Z. Dad stuck it in the barn and told me to come get it a few years later. The only problem is it turned out to be full of mouse carcases and because it was a South Dakota car, the frame was rusting out. But I still had a blast driving it a few years before selling it for $600 in 1997.

The most meaningful... An antique gold pocket watch w/my name engraved on it.

Mine would have to be a custom made gold cross tie tack my Mom had made for me. The upright is made of 4 small boxes, and the cross member is 3 boxes. In the center box is the diamond from her engagement ring (after Dad bought her a new wedding ring of course) and the other five boxes have some diamond chips from my Dad's Masonic ring. This was a gift when I graduated from Baylor. I sure didn't see it coming!! Jim.