NEW Lathe

Hi fellow turners.

I'm in the process of choosing a new lathe, I've found a Jet mini vs with extension and stand for 495 or the Grizzly G0462 for 484 delivered.
Which one would be the better of the 2 ? Looking for help will be ordering the end of this week.

Thanks for the help.

PS I have to keep the cost around $500. I'm asking about the best in my pricerange.

Last edited:
What's your goals in turning?
Just remember, you can turn small things on a big lathe, but you cannot turn big things on a small lathe.
For $88 more you could get the Jet 1236, or for $99 more you could get the Delta 46-715 at Amazon.com. I'm sure shopping around may even give you better prices than that.
Keep in mind though, the Jet mini is a proven lathe. You can't go wrong there.

Last edited:
I plan on turning tool handels, segmented bowels, pens.

Do you think the delta 46-715 is better than the grizzly?
I've read alot of bad reviews on that one.
the delta was my first choice till I saw the bad reviews.
Someone on the creek said they could get 46-715r for 299.
If I could find that deal I'd go for it.

Thanks again for suggestions.

g0462_det2.jpg

It has variable speed but uses a reeves drive setup.

Specifications and Features:

Motor: 2 HP, 110V, single-phase
Swing over bed: 16"
Distance between centers: 43"
Heavy-duty, precision ground cast iron bed and cast iron legs ensures stability and minimal vibration
1" x 8 TPI RH headstock spindle
Spindle tachometer with digital read out
MT #2 spindle & tailstock tapers
Spindle bore: 3/8"
Outboard turning is easy with standard tool rest extension
10 speeds: 600 - 2400 RPM
Quick lock/release levers for tailstock and headstock
0 deg., 60 deg., 90 deg., 120 deg., and 180 deg. headstock rotation
Overall dimension: 76 1/2"L x 19"W x 48 3/4"H
Approximate shipping weight: 304 lbs.

Last edited:
The only thing I don't like about the Grizz is the lowest speed seems a bit high to me, when I turn big stuff and it is out of round I like to turn a bit slower then 600 RPM. I do like the 2 HP and the 16" swing. Some don't like the reeves drive, personaly I see nothing wrong with it.

Richard............I have a Jet VS Mini.........lowest speed is 500 rpm IIRC. Even when turning a 9" rough blank 500 rpm is too fast for an out of balanced blank. Good luck with your decision.

Hi Richard!

If you want to turn bowls, and they blank is out of round, 600 is WAY too fast IMHO, especially for a begining turner.

Do you have a bandsaw?

I ask becaue one thing you CAN do it to make sure that the blanks are as round as possible, and flat too, with a bandsaw you can go a long ways towards this.

May I ask why the rush?

You really don't want to get stuck with a lathe you don't like and only have to sell it at a loss later to get the lathe you should have bought the first time.

Look around some more, I hear good things about the Rikon Maxi lathe.....?

Cheers!

Richard, the $299 Delta is from Redmond tool (goggle it) and is a repaired unit. It and the Griz both have Reeves drives, the Jet I had (1442) used reeves and started at 425 rpm IIRC ant that was awfully fast if the blank was not well balanced.

Do you think the delta 46-715 is better than the grizzly?
I've read alot of bad reviews on that one.

I read the reviews also, the way I understood it was there were two versions of this lathe and the earlier one is the one with the problems.
With that said, I still like the Grizzly of the three brands but the Jet is a good one. just looks like more bang for the buck.
At a glance, I'd go
1.Grizzly/ Jet
2. Jet/ Grizzly
3. Delta
4. HF
5. Jet mini/ Rikon mini.

Again, this is only my unprofessional opinion.

thanks all for the comments, the "boss" holds the pursestrings and is allowing me to spend around 500. I'll have to live with what I can get for that price till I can learn more and justify to the "boss" that I have out grown the lathe.
The lathe I have now is a Shopmaster from the early 1940's 3 speed fas,faster and holy crap!! I've shown her that it just doesn't cut it.

We just bought a house and are doing alot of work on it. That's how I got most of my tools.

Stu, I do have a bandsaw a general 14" with riser block, maybe the 500 to 600 won't be too bad if I carefully round the blanks.

Thanks all for the input.

Last edited:
I am wondering about the Griz lathe, does it have a motor controller? Is it possible to have a Reaves drive and have a motor controller as well I'm thinking it is,just curious.:huh:

Richard,

Since you're on a set "purse string", and it seems turning requires a HUGE purse, maybe you could list the accessory tools you already have. That will let the "pros" help you with a realistic balance of funds for just your new lathe.

I have just a basic Jet mini (not VS), a set of basic chisels, grinding jig...and I'm already at $400 and counting!:eek: :dunno:

Good luck

Greg

I already have a set of tools slow speed grinder wolverine jig the lathe I have now is morse taper 1 so I'll have to replace mandrel. Dont have a chuck but I will at christmas.

I am wondering about the Griz lathe, does it have a motor controller? Is it possible to have a Reaves drive and have a motor controller as well I'm thinking it is,just curious.:huh:

I wrote to Grizzly and asked that very question. The response was that it is a single speed motor and adding a variable controller was not reccomended. Also, I understand that a VS controller can cost about $400.00. So, even if it worked, you would be in the price range of many other high(er) dollar models.
I am a Grizzly fan because most of their merchandise is, hands down, the best dollar value on the market. The Reeves drive is a comprimise arrangement, I'm not crazy about it (have one on my G1067Z lathe) but it works. If the belt breaks with less than one year of use, Grizzly will replace free. Keep your receipts.

If it sounds too good to be true...

I just got off the phone with Redmond Machine, they want $195.00 to ship the 46-715 to a comercial loading dock.:( :huh:
Back to the hunt I guess... I wis I could afford the dvr...:rolleyes:

I wrote to Grizzly and asked that very question. The response was that it is a single speed motor and adding a variable controller was not reccomended. Also, I understand that a VS controller can cost about $400.00. So, even if it worked, you would be in the price range of many other high(er) dollar models.
I am a Grizzly fan because most of their merchandise is, hands down, the best dollar value on the market. The Reeves drive is a comprimise arrangement, I'm not crazy about it (have one on my G1067Z lathe) but it works. If the belt breaks with less than one year of use, Grizzly will replace free. Keep your receipts.

Thanks Frank......... I was curious about what I was seeing in the pic, then it was nothing more than a digital readout of your rpm (which is nice but a VS controller would be much better) oh well. I have the 46-715 and like everyone else dont like the min 500 rpm but wouldnt consider a $400 upgrade either.:dunno:

Last edited: