Buffing bowl/etc.

I didn't know better, so I used the white diamond on my claro walnut bowl but had no residual white specks. I even looked at it with a magnifying glass and couldn’t find any. I sanded to 600 then wet sanded with 600 and Tung oil. I’ll take pictures tomorrow and post them, before and after buffing.

Last edited:
Chuck, on tight-grained dark woods (and claro walnut can be one), you won't see the white speckle problem. Also, if you have filled the pores with multiple layers of finish (like a thick poly) and sanded the surface smooth, the white diamond compound won't get trapped in them. Sounds like the combination of claro walnut and wet sanding with 600 grit saved the day for you on that piece. ;)

I finally finished my buffer! Only took me 2yrs!! :eek:

I picked up acouple of smaller/inside bowl wheel at HF last week (the ones to the left of the motor. All I did was wire a swtich in, and added some threaded extensions to the motor spindles. The drill chuck makes changing out buffer pads and sanding pads easy. The sanding pads work great to hold a padded sander to finish the bottoms of turnings as well.

Hey Jeff,
Glad you got'er done... I guess I'm not too bad off myself then... I have a motor that I think is still good from when I replaced the motor on my Jet mini... (I think the switch was bad and didn't need to replace motor, so have extra - plus have an extra 2 HP motor that was replacement for my Dust collector that Harbor Freight replaced.. only needed a switch there too)... anyway, have been planning for about a year now to do just what you did... maybe by next year? ;)

Do you know the rpm on the motor you used?? I think the one I have is 1750. Also thinking about using it to make a slow speed sharpener.. don't know which I'll use it for yet.... I have Don Pencil buffing system that will work on either of my lathes so in reality I need the sharpener more. David E. Smith (Think right name) had an article in one of the wood magazines about making a sharpener..