Pierced Christmas Ornaments........???

Stuart Ablett

Or are they called "Hollow" Christmas Ornaments?

The ones that are glued up, turned, split apart, reversed, glued up again, then turned again....?

Know what I mean?

Someone got a link on doing this?

Cheers!

BTW.........

Countdown to Christmas

102 days, 20 hours, 34 minutes...... :wave:

I watched the video, and spent most of the time saying "what the heck?" to myself. But it all comes together in the end... ;)

Somehow, I think that's a little beyond my present skill. I'm thinking of doing something more like these: http://www.rrosand.com/gallery/ornaments.html

ornament_250h.jpg

but the icicle part may be way too tricky for me... lots of chances to mess up... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

:eek:BUY WOOD? After all that milling you did you need to BUY WOOD! :rolleyes::rofl:

Yeah, embarrassing eh....... :eek:

Thing is, most of the wood I have is just about 2" rough, so it would be on the thin side, great for flatwork (YIKES :eek: ) but I want something thicker for these ornaments......... plus, a good excuse to buy some really cool exotics! :D

Cheers!

I did this lamp FOR Christmas last year if that counts! I don't have a full on shot, but there is a cross in the lamp.

Fairly easy to do once you get the concept down in your mind. Just make sure you realize that you are turning all of the HORIZONTAL details at half width and all of the VERTICAL details at full width when you do the first turning. That will make sense once you do one. Good luck!

Attachments

• lamp2.JPG
    lamp2.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 21
Yeah, embarrassing eh....... :eek:

Thing is, most of the wood I have is just about 2" rough, so it would be on the thin side, great for flatwork (YIKES :eek: ) but I want something thicker for these ornaments......... plus, a good excuse to buy some really cool exotics! :D

Cheers!

Stu, you will actually need 4 identical pieces of wood per ornament, so you should be able to make an almost 4" ornament with your 2" pieces of wood. You might actually need to cut some down in size!

Stu, I emailed you a copy of my ornament instructions before I read that you had already found a link. But either way it gives you a basic idea and then you can take off with you're own ideas from there.

But speaking of ornaments, I turned a really obnoxious ornament this week. My wife proclaimed it to be "the ugliest thing I've ever turned". It's from a sea urchin shell, but when I bought the shell I thought the lady told me these come from Japan. Do you know anything about these?

nobbyurchin1.jpg

Thanks Curt!

Sea Urchin, yeah, they EAT the stuff that comes out that sucker, I certainly don't, but they do......... :rolleyes: :D

Thanks for the info!

Robert, most of the wood I have came from sick or dying trees, so they are not plain grain, but often kind of colorful, I'd think that 4 pieces of fairly tight, straight clear grained wood, would make a better ornament...........?

Cheers!

Hey Stu, just wanted to share that I got my first good cut on myself from a lathe project Saturday night trying to make an inside out ornament. Had a blow out occur on a pen blank so thought I would just finish the evening turning the outside of the ornament as I had the inside done and it reglued back together. Man was it looking good. After sanding, I decided it needed just a little more taken off :huh: so out comes the skew :dunno: and BAM :wave: off goes the ornament :eek: and with the shake of the hand :rolleyes: out flings the blood :doh:. Yep, first official bad cut. Oh well, stuff happens. Find all of the pieces and walk into the house and show my wife what it is supposed to look like, she is amazed until I set it down and it falls apart, then I ask if she will help me bandage my little finger together. Well at least she got me the bandages, then she had to leave the room!!:wave::wave: Going back to finish my pen orders Wednesday, won't worry about this ornament for a while!

That ornament it amazing to watch "appear". Nope, no stitches, heck nowhere near the heart or an artery! Anyway, had a load of hay coming in Sunday, cut is bad enough, figure stitches would really be a pain in a glove.