IT WORKS!!!!!

Jim O'Dell

IT REALLY WORKS!!!!!
Finished up the cyclone chip barrel lid about 1:00, turned it on with all of the blast gates closed, then opened the one for the TS since I had some dust collected in the pipe from use, and it looked exactly like the Clear Vue video! :thumb::thumb: It's not near as loud as I had expected, and the closet is not even enclosed yet. In fact, I don't think it's any louder than my TS, and should be much quieter when I get the closet finished up. I'm sure having the exhaust go outside is a plus in the noise department, though we'll see if the neighbors think so. :eek: I was surprised at how long it took for the motor to quit turning after I killed the power. Must have spun for 3 minutes.
I had a little trouble with the seal this am. It didn't want to stick well. Had to use some spray adhesive on it. And I had to replace the flex hose that came on the Clear Vue with some I had bought. Don't know if it is the difference in brand, or if it was just out of shape, but it would not stretch over the PVC even after using a hair dryer on it several times. I finally got frustrated after about 45 minutes and just cut a piece I had and put on. Now if I can get the 4" in, I'll be able to try out the BS.
And I think I should have milked it a little longer, LOML has already asked if I was through with my weekend project....:doh::bang: Guess I'll find out if she has anything she's going to have me do. She already knows the Cowboys don't play again today.....
I will need to modify the front left lid tie down to make it easier to get the barrel out from under the lid. I've got an idea already. Should have made the lid a little wider. Oh well, maybe I'll remember next time.
The picture attached shows how I used the turn buckles to secure the lid to the barrel. DSCN1323.jpgThe wood blocks have a curve on the barrel side to loosely match the curve of the barrel. Rough shaped on the TS, then hand filed to fit. Sure wish I had a spindle sander though. Need to get some sleeves to be able to use on the drill press until I get the sander. I had 1 eye bolt for the turnbuckle that was shorter than the others (left in picture), it will go to the rear where it isn't noticeable. Used a forstner bit to recess a hole for T-nuts to fit in to, then the eye bolts thread into that. Each block is held on by 4 Kreg coarse 1 1/2" screws on 1/4" fender washers from the inside of the barrel, with silicone in the hole that also squeezed out and sealed the washer and screw heads. Worked great.
Thanks for sharing in my excitement! Jim.

Last edited:
Steve, it's a 50 or 55 gallon plastic barrel that cleaning chemicals come in. I think a product called "Hotter 'N Hell" came in this one. It's a degreaser. The first barrel I brought home had a better top on it, but it has some moulded in water drains, and it just didn't want to cut properly. I went out after doing some 'If you want a bed to sleep in tonight' chores, and added a handle to the barrel to facilitate pulling it out from under the lid. The first picture shows the handle.DSCN1329.jpg
DSCN1328.jpg This picture also shows that it did indeed capture the dust from the TS!!! I know you all want proof, so I try to accomodate.:D
DSCN1331.jpgAnd the last picture shows the contraption I made to hold the lid up while the barrel is out for dumping. I used picture frame hanging wire with a crimp on but connector that a rubber bungee cord goes on to, then a cup hook on my cyclone tree that the other end on the bungee hooks to. This way the weight of the MDF top is not pulling on the cyclone or the flex hose and its connections. It also keeps me from having to hold the whole weight of the top as I pull the barrel out. And you're right, Stu, it is a good feeling!
Works pretty good! Well, It's time for supper, plus 11 dogs to feed. Have a good evening! Jim.

That rocks. Glad you finally got her up and running. Now I still have a chance at the title (Longest ClearVue Installation):D Glad to see someone else thinks like I do and I like what you came up with. I'd asked on that other forum about suspending the lid and everyone's response was just let it hang, which just didn't seem quite right.

Great feeling isn't it? I was amazed how long the impeller spins after shutdown too.:thumb: I credit that to a great motor and good balancing job on the impeller. I couldn't get the hose on the drum to seal until I went the the bridge style clamps that Lee Valley sells. Ed says that if you get leak down there it will cause a updraft. That will cut down the seperation. which will clog your filters.

Thanks guys. Russ, I actually built my own bridge clamps. I probably need to get some incense and verify no leaks, but they seem to be doing the job. I took long band clamps from McMaster-Carr and bend them so that it forms a bridge, A couple broke when I didn't get them warmed up, but I just finished the clamp and pop riveted it back together. The first one I made I used a separate piece of metal for the bridge part then cut the clamp and riveted it back together. Not as smooth as bending the clamp without the rivets.
And Doug, how long has it been since you received you Clear Vue??? I posted on the Clear Vue site and counted up that it had been almost 20 months for me. You really want to beat that???:D:D:D Jim.

And Doug, how long has it been since you received you Clear Vue??? I posted on the Clear Vue site and counted up that it had been almost 20 months for me. You really want to beat that???:D:D:D Jim.

Want to beat it? Nope. But it sure feels like I'm headed that way at the rate I'm going. Looking back it's only July that I got it, but it seems like I've been working on for twice that long. I spent the holiday weekend trying to get the Bin Level Sensor and alarm light wiring done, and despite checking all my intermediate steps with a digital VOM couldn't get things working right and may end up re-doing it (dont really care for the very fragile Radio Shack pin/socket connectors I tried). Still haven't bought or even planned out any ducting or remote blast gates (since I wont be able to reach manual ones) yet either. So I may still have a shot at the title, though I'm trying hard to throw the match.

Thanks Marty. Doug, I just went through your picture adventure. WOW! you've done a lot in 4 months. I'm not sure what I'm going to do for overfill protection. I thought I'd put in the picture window, but with the cyclone going to end up behind closed doors, that seems like a foolish move for me! Sitting in a chair and staring at my creation this afternoon, I thought if I could find something that a rod would slide up and down in, but seal off properly, I'd put it in the top of the lid with a disc at the bottom of the rod, inside the barrel. Push down on the rod, if it hit chips, it was getting pretty full. Again, behind closed doors....There have been some home built bin sensors shown on some of the forums, can't remember exactly where at this point. Might look into those. How much was the bin level sensor you got? It would be nice to have a strobe light go off when it got full. Jim.

Yeah the clear plastic bin window didn't seem to work into my plans either. Figured that would require another clear plastic window on the closet door to see into the second one and didn't seem very practical.
I paid $49.99 for the Bin Level Sensor (a Dwyer DBLM3040) on eBay (plus the S&H) and I think I paid $3.99 on eBay for the amber strobe light and another $9.99 for the 12V power supply (a laptop PC brick). There are 110V (and even some 220V) industrial strobe or emergency lights out there but they're not as common. I could never find a reasonable enough price on them, so I ended up concentrating on the 12V auto stuff and a separate power supply. I cant recall for certain, but seem to recall Bill Pentz' site maybe having a link to someone's homemade bin sensor instructions.