Lumber Rack Question

Bob Spare

Someone in the last 3-4 weeks had a posting on lumber rack.
Their angle was 10 degree with 1/2 black pipe for lumber holder.

Made mine similar that will fit up flush to the back wall.

With 8 wheels on the underside.

In the A frame part you can slip 4x8 sheets plywood.
My question is mine is 6 foot tall, with 18" spacing from left to right between studs total of 5 stud at 10 degree. Figure that will be able to hold on one step alone 2 boards side by side or total board width of 18" wide or about 20 boards 8 foot long.

My black pipe will perturd out 18" (pipe will be 21" long, with 3 inches into the 2x4) too hold two boards side by side on the shelf.

Will 1/2 black pipe 18" long be strong enough, or should one use 3/4 pipe?

Would think so with the 10 degree angle.

Need a fast answer as going to get pipe tommorrow.

attachment.php

If you want a guess here is mine. If I understand correctly you will have five 1/2" pipes spaced 18" apart holding 20 boards. If you figure that each board weighs 10 pounds that would be 200 lbs total. I would think that it would take a whole lot more than that to bend just one pipe much less five of them. So my guess is that 1/2" pipe would be more than strong enough.

I'm with Allen - an 21" length of BSP buried 3" into a timber frame will hold a lot more weight than you are envisaging. Go for it.

My black pipe will perturd out 18":rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: (pipe will be 21" long, with 3 inches into the 2x4) too hold two boards side by side on the shelf.
Sorry couldn't resist :rofl::rofl:

Thanks guys for the post, with the exception of Steve
The moderators will delete his post..................to close to sexual harassment. Just for your information am proud of my 14 inches.:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb: