Air mover and Exhaust fan

Mike Forsman

I have had more time than usual in the shop lately. One of my projects was to make a paper storage shelf for LOML and her scrapbook paper. I will post pictures of that when I get it finished. She wanted the paper storage shelf painted. The last time I painted anything, the exhaust fan that I use in my make shift paint booth went bad. It was a gable fan and I believe that the finish got into the motor and caused it to short out. I was faced with either getting another fan just like the previous one or doing an upgrade. I determined I wanted a belt drive fan so that I could get the motor out of the air stream. Went with a two speed belt drive unit. Built the following box to allow this unit to be used to move air in the shop and as an exhaust fan. The filters allow me to filter the air when I'm using it in the shop.

This picture shows the fan turned for movement of air in the shop. Also provides storage under the fan and above the fan.
Exhaust_Fan_1 (600 x 800).jpg

By lifting a latch on each side of the unit, I can rotate the fan so that it points out the window.
Exhaust_Fan_2 (750 x 563).jpg

Exhaust_Fan_3 (800 x 600).jpg

Exhaust_Fan_4 (800 x 600).jpg

Exhaust_Fan_5 (800 x 600).jpg

I can then roll it back and point the discharge out the window.
Exhaust_Fan_6 (600 x 800).jpg

Exhaust_Fan_7 (600 x 800).jpg

Finishing fumes are then out the window.
Exhaust_Fan_8 (750 x 563).jpg

Very cool and very customized idea. Making your shop fixtures and cabinets work well in your shop is what its all about.

Great idea Mike, and nicely accomplished. :thumb: I'll also be filing this one in the back of my mind for future reference.