Ho hum, don't forget to do it backwards, Virginia...

tim Rowledge

I spent much of today working on another cute (I hope, left hand picture) box for another of my cute (very, right hand picture) nieces. I carefully made a length of custom molding to wrap a nice birdseye maple top panel; quite a complex molding requiring a dozen or so cuts and routing passes. Looked lovely when I finished it.

Then I carefully mitred the right lengths on a quick little jig to make sure everything was precise. And of course, I cut the mitres the wrong way so the frame of molding was inside out :-(

Sigh.

Tomorrow.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    88.4 KB · Views: 69
  • Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 60
I've got four similar pieces of box trim somewhere in the shop that I'm saving for another box. A smaller one. :doh:

miter dyslexia
I like that. It sounds like a nice expensive condition instead of a cock-up.

"Hi. I'm tim and I have Mitre Dyslexia"

And for anyone curious, the thread title comes from a very old copy of 'Bike' - say 1976 or so - where the author of an article was making a custom Triumph and had obtained a plain red-lensed light for his brakelight needs. For various reasons he decided to cut out sticky backed plastic letters to stick inside the lens and make it abundantly clear to dimwitted car drivers that this light was the brake light. Now imagine just how many ways you can wrongly cut out letters to fit inside a lens to be seen from behind. Hence "Ho hum, don't forget to do it backwards, Virginia". I've been waiting for *years* for a good excuse to use that :)