Red Gum and Blackwood

I've found another wood I love to turn! Red Gum HF with Blackwood pedestal and collar/ finial. 5 1/2" diameter by 13" tall. Finished with a coat of Antique oil then several coats of wet sanded lacquer.

Attachments

• TS445.jpg
    TS445.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 59
Shame you can't get any good wood out there where you live, Travis. That piece has holes all over it. :rofl:

Gorgeous work, man. I like every part of it.

Travis, that is really nice!

Is that one of the woods you hear the Aussies talking about, that is not at all soft, but results in nice pieces?

BTW, do you have a shot looking, so we could see where the base joins the bottom?

I'd love to see that detail.

Love your work, I'm so happy that you are here sharing and inspiring us all! :thumb:

Very nice Travis! I have never turned any red gum, mainly because it doesn't grow around here. How was it for cutting, and then sanding with all those holes in it?

Bill

Yes Stu, it's an Aussie wood. It's pretty doggone hard, but cuts nicely. Bill, it didn't present any problems. Most of the holes were filled with hardened resin that dropped out when I got it hollowed. It was a pain brushing the powdered residue, from wet sanding the lacquer, out of the holes with a toothbrush however!:bang:
Here's a couple more shots.

Attachments

• TS445b (Small).jpg
    TS445b (Small).jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 21
  • TS445c.jpg
    TS445c.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 23
Excellent.

an aside: when wet sanding i have found if i use a little paraffin oil, any residue left behind blends better, and because it doesn't evaporate it is easier to clean the slurry off.