Kid's Bookcase

Geoff Barry

Well, given my posting frequency, it'll come as no surprise that I don't often get the chance to actually build anything. I've had the glued-up panels for an arts & crafts style QSWO bookcase sitting out on my saw for 3 or 4 months now. The usual tale of woe - kids, job, etc.

So, as I start thinking about getting back on it, I figured I'd better play around with some scrap to get back into it w/o destroying my "good" panels . . . so I set about making a small bookcase for my kids (4-yr old triplets) out of some old 3/4" and 1/2" plywood scrap. It didn't come out perfectly, but "good enough" to hold some books for the time being :) My boy assisted me in cutting, and the girls insisted on painting it. I managed to roller over the yellow after they went inside in the hopes of getting a semi-even base color (I also primed it), but the "measles" were all them . . . :) They seemed to have fun . . . I figured it's good to get them involved early.

Attachments

• Kidsbookcase (Medium).JPG
    Kidsbookcase (Medium).JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 39
  • Kidsbookcase2 (Medium).JPG
    Kidsbookcase2 (Medium).JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 30
  • Kidsbookcase3 (Medium).JPG
    Kidsbookcase3 (Medium).JPG
    71 KB · Views: 43
That looks like it'll work perfectly, Geoff. I'm sure the kids will remember helping on it, and as they grow older, they can change the paint scheme to suit their whim.

Four year old triplets? It's amazing you find any shop time at all. :eek: :p

Four year old triplets? It's amazing you find any shop time at all. :eek: :p

Or sleep time, for that matter. Geoff, measles and all, that project is actually multi-faceted. Not only did you get to "practice" your idea, you got the kids involved possibly sparking their creative fires, AND they get a bookcase outta the deal. Good on you! Moreover, this little exercise was huge for them. Things of this nature actually stimulate brain development on a number of levels... hand-eye coordination, motor skills, cognition... sorry, must be the educator in me. Anyway, you get the idea. I say again... FANTASTIC!!!!:thumb: