I Discovered Sharp Today

Brian Gumpper

when I stuck a chisel into my wrist at a fairly good pace and blood was squirting all over. Good thing it was only a 1/4" chisel :doh:

Typing with one hand isn't much fun either.

I was using it to remove some glue holding the bottom of a drawer to the sides. the bottom was hardboard or something similar and had a lot of glue holding it to the other four pieces of the drawer. Slipping the chisel under the glue was easy until I hit a hard spot and pushed harder until the chisel slipped.

It was only a yellow handle Stanley but I did flatten the back and sharpen it the other day.

Live and learn I guess. Never work a chisel toward a body part or use one as a scraper.

Well glad you can still type with one hand, Brian!

Been there. Last chisel accident was a long 1 1/4" paring chisel which sliced open my stomach.

Only times woodworking I've hurt myself in any significant way has been chisels. Sharp buggers.

Take it as easy as you can.

Take care, Mike

Been there. Last chisel accident was a long 1 1/4" paring chisel which sliced open my stomach.
I know it's not much, but wearing a leather apron really is a safety factor in regard to your mid-section.

I admit to just barely slicing the end of my knuckle with a utility knife yesterday (I was lucky, IMO), but it just barely drew blood. I was cutting a plastic putty knife to serate the end. Not a dumb thing to do, but dumb to stand and free cut it. It was the only way to get light at the moment, so I thought...(would have been smarter to bring light to the right spot...:rolleyes: )

We should start a list of these. Mine would be
Never have your finger inline with the bandsaw blade. :doh:
Man, I use one of two bandsaws everyday for much of my work. Fingers come close a lot.

When I was growing up, we went to the butcher shops for our meat no matter where we lived. I've known butchers who while cut themselves with knives, seems there was always one butcher who had part of a missing finger.

A BS is easy to get hurt on aside from direct cutting. I've had blades break and shoot out the side of the upper guide. I can imagine what will happen should it decide to do that and my hand is in the way.

I think the lesson I take from Brian's OP and these follow-up posts is most accidents I am aware of in the shop is doing tasks which are familiar, routine even. Often involving tasks we've done often enough we can think to ourselves afterwards, "Geeze, why did I do that. I know better."

Still, the wood shop is safer than my old occupation of logging.

Take care, Mike

You know Mike I was thinking of the possibility if a stomach shot after I got my wrist. That must have been aweful and scary as all heck.

I told me wife that when I'm using the power tools I watch the blade more than the wood and that pro's tend to get hurt more because it is second nature.