MDF/shellac - Smooth Coverage

glenn bradley

With the BB ply price crisis still going on in my area I opted to build a small drawer unit for my bench out of MDF. I usually spray larger panels of MDF to get a smooth (as possible) color consistency but I am not set up to spray right now.

I saw Jeff Jewitt doing a shellac finish where he used a squeeze bottle to provide a continuous supply of shellac in front of his pad. This prevented the pad strokes from getting a chance to dry too much and cause lines of color variation in his finish.

I gave it a try and it works pretty well, especially considering the variations in MDF material. Just wanted to share:

Attachments

• Drawer Fronts.jpg
    Drawer Fronts.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 81
Glenn,

Those look pretty good.

I might have to try that. I generally stay are far away from MDF as possible, but that does look nice.

Post some pictures of you project. I need to make a set of drawers for underneath my bench to hold tool, chisel and planes ( and I am sure a lot of other stuff.)

Glenn,

Those look pretty good.

I might have to try that. I generally stay are far away from MDF as possible, but that does look nice.

Post some pictures of you project. I need to make a set of drawers for underneath my bench to hold tool, chisel and planes ( and I am sure a lot of other stuff.)

Thanks Bartee. I should have it finished off today or tomorrow and I'll post some pics. Like you, I plan to use them to keep my measuring/marking, chisels and other items I always seem to cross the room for as I have no drawers under the bench ;-) Would've preferred BB ply to go with my newer shop cabs but, I guess it sorta matches the MDF top and shelf on the bench(?).

Here's the unit before finish and drawer fronts:

http://familywoodworking.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12432&d=1189360066

It'll end up in this position:

http://familywoodworking.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=11998&d=1188329074

I wooda thunk it would soak up like a sponge.

I sand to 220 and then just before I finish I sand with 400 (extra effort on the ends. This seems to remove the thirst that compositions usually have. It takes finish pretty much like anything else. If I don't get a really smooth sanded finish prior to applying the liquid finish; it absolutely soaks it up like a sponge ;-). Especially the end 'grain'. There seems to be no end to how much finish it will soak up.