Bessey K body clamps

I bought all mine (I have 16) at a couple of very good sales by Lee Valley, the first in early 2005 and the second in early 2006. I don't know whether of not this is going to be an annual event.

The other place I got a good deal on clamps was at the Toronto Woodworking show last March. Gros Stabil (owned by Bessey) k-bodies were on sale there for less than half price.

So, I suggest waiting and watching.

The other place I got a good deal on clamps was at the Toronto Woodworking show last March. Gros Stabil (owned by Bessey) k-bodies were on sale there for less than half price.

Make that "... now owned by Bessey"

And Federated Tool had that same deal on again at the Woodstock Woodshow in October. I skipped it then, due to other spending, so I'm hoping it'll be on again in March at the CHW show.

Nice to get a few deals up here, seeing as how we can't grab them when Amazon puts them on sale.

...art

ps: Doug, you can keep an eye on the amazon price watch web page, to watch for tools going on sale, or just watch the amazon tools+hardware page.

doug, in a production setting (like i think you`re setting up?) bar clamps are used for assembly more than panel production. for assembly i really prefer the "i"beam style clamps like most of us used in highschool.....they don`t have parallel jaws or plastic covers but they`ll flat out move stuff that`s trying to be stuborn.....for panel/door glue-ups i`m kinda fond of the jlt set-up it`s a real space saver and has proven itself in lotsa shops to be a worthwhile investment. here`s a quick pic of an old "i"beam clamp. and i`ll include a link to the jlt site........sorry no advice to help save money on besseys:eek: .....tod
MVC-101S.JPG
http://www.jltclamps.com/

I'm with tod on the I-beam clamps.
Actually a better clamp. Cheaper.
I've been gradually reducing my stock of jorgy's and bessey's.
Just not the clamps that I really need.

doug, in a production setting (like i think you`re setting up?) bar clamps are used for assembly more than panel production. for assembly i really prefer the "i"beam style clamps like most of us used in highschool.....they don`t have parallel jaws or plastic covers but they`ll flat out move stuff that`s trying to be stuborn.....for panel/door glue-ups i`m kinda fond of the jlt set-up it`s a real space saver and has proven itself in lotsa shops to be a worthwhile investment. here`s a quick pic of an old "i"beam clamp. and i`ll include a link to the jlt site........sorry no advice to help save money on besseys:eek: .....tod
View attachment 1240
http://www.jltclamps.com/

Tod you read my mind, I was already thinking along the lines of the JLT system. Not sure which way I want to go. I know I want something to glue up panels and the door frames plus passage doors, so the buddy sytem looks good. Later I would want something for mitered doors.

I appreciate your input ..what would you recommend??

Doug

doug, doucet makes good clamps best i can tell........i`ve never used `em only seen pictures:eek: ......the jlt`s are what everybody i know who can`t afford a high freq. drier uses.....i don`t do mitered doors so i`ve not researched clamps for them......but the guys at jlt are easy to talk to if ya` want to give `em a call. the other clamping system i use is a large vacuum bag for doing face laminations.....if you`re going to be doing passage/entry doors a vacuum set-up can be a real labor saver.....tod

doug, doucet makes good clamps best i can tell........i`ve never used `em only seen pictures:eek: ......the jlt`s are what everybody i know who can`t afford a high freq. drier uses.....i don`t do mitered doors so i`ve not researched clamps for them......but the guys at jlt are easy to talk to if ya` want to give `em a call. the other clamping system i use is a large vacuum bag for doing face laminations.....if you`re going to be doing passage/entry doors a vacuum set-up can be a real labor saver.....tod

Thanks Tod I will call them today and chat with them. I would like to know more about the vacuum clamping you use.

Doug

doug, i hit it off well with neil from qualityvak and have been using their products for quite a few years. my main pump is a tripple venturi pneumatic powered unit. i keep a small diaphram pump inline to hold the vacuum once it`s pulled but a small diaphram unit just takes to long to pull the vacuum....glue`s setting up by the time it evacuates the bag. my main bag will fit 6x16 ft. i have 2 4x8`s and a 2x24 stair bag........the use of vacuum for clamping is really thought provoking once you get started.....not only can you clamp flat stock you can do curves.....plus it`s easy to build vacuum hold-down jigs for other machines.........like a 90deg. holddown for the slider...set it anywhere on the extrusion, at any angle you like and work end grain with no issues.......two small "pucks" made from scrap mdf and you`ve got a holddown for a piece of any shape.......yadda,yadda.......cool stuff and worth the time to read about..tod