Tool Pride

Allen, not picking on you, in fact agree with some of what you typed. I have greatly enjoyed this thread as it does in fact address many of the negative issues that have led to the downfall or loss of members in other forums. If in fact you are talking of another forum, then that is probably where this question belongs as it pertains to them and the moderators will be able to ignore or answer your questions as to why it is allowed or if it is something they are aware of or enjoy debating. If it is actually this forum, then you can sent a personal message (PM) to any of the moderators-people with this title under their picture, and they will talk a little more openly to you about your specific concerns. Generalizations to a crowd do not allow the ability to calm fears anymore than no one in a crowd willing to point out the theif stops crime.
The main thing I like about this forum, the openness of everyone and the lack of concern for hijacking a thread. It is like sitting around the family table, one question can be raised and before everyone has had a chance to chime in, the actual conversation can be many degrees or pages away from the original topic. Eventually it comes full circle, everyone has had their chance, some have laughed, some have cried, all have been offerred comfort and yes, some will leave the table upset, some return, some never do. The beauty of this electronic age is the lack of miles between all of us, the downside is we don't get facial expressions or inflection of voice that conveys a lot of meaning. My 2 month old grandson can't talk, but he sure brightens my day when I make funny noises and he grins or tries to talk!!
Hope all of these threads and wonderful comments, on and off topic show you our passion for our tools as well as our passion for this forum.

Ok Jonathan, you may not be picking on me but I think Stu IS.

Let me explain something. What I am talking about in this thread has nothing to do with this forum, it was just a conversation that I thought was interesting and at the same time something to think about to prevent that kind of nonsense from happening here.

Its not that I've seen it here or that I've suspected anybody here of being that way, but it is the reason why this is my forum of choice and I'd hope that we can use this thread as an idea of how not to act to maintain the quality of this forum.

My only problem at all with this forum is that right now, it is too small to stay here and only here, sometimes I need to travel through the ghettos to find some of the information I need. I'd hope that this community continues to grow but at the same time continues to stay true to the "Family" part of the name.

Now about this Salsa, Vaughn, I have a good recipe for you if you want it. Straight out of MX and its pretty simple.

And for your info, Enchiladas can be made with green sauce, but they are not a green sauce food, the sauce that is used to make them is normally made with Chile Ancho or Chile Colorado (some green sauce can be added for extra flavor) or a combination of the 2. This is the same sauce that is used to make Red Tamales. I can give you a recipe for that as well if you are interested the enchiladas recipe not the tamales. I could give you the recipe, but that is something that really needs to be taught and not just told.

And like you I don't like eating hot for the sake of hot, I'm a flavor man. But I do get a little carried away with the Jalapenos for the sake of flavor.

Hey Allen, no need to get "Riled Up" :D :rofl:

Seriously, if I were picking on you, you'd know ;) and I'm not.

I'm just looking for clarification and clear communication, not the easiest thing to do in a text interface.

You do notice that I did say that I doubted that you were talking about Family Woodworking, but I was just wanting to make sure, as a casual reader of that post could, COULD have taken it the wrong way, and that is how flame wars erupt, which I'm confident was not your intent.

Cheers!

Well Stu, the thing is I WAS picking on you, so there. :p

Now that we got that out of the way, I guess I should also make it clear that I completely understood your intentions and therefore I gave you an explanation that I hope clears everything up for you and anybody else who may not completely understand my intentions.

I only wish to preserve the level of quality that this forum has so we don't turn out like some of the other forums. I think talking about it before it becomes a problem is a good way to help prevent it.

Well Stu, the thing is I WAS picking on you, so there. :p

Now that we got that out of the way, I guess I should also make it clear that I completely understood your intentions and therefore I gave you an explanation that I hope clears everything up for you and anybody else who may not completely understand my intentions.

I only wish to preserve the level of quality that this forum has so we don't turn out like some of the other forums. I think talking about it before it becomes a problem is a good way to help prevent it.

Sounds great, and I agree! :thumb:

Now the MidWestern version of Mexican food is...... Well, this is a family forum and I cannot render an accurate adjective and not offend someone! The most benign thing I can think of is "YUCK!" :eek:

If you think Midwestern Mexican food is "YUCK" I would hate to hear what you would call Southwest Florida Mexican food and the Bar-B-Que here is worse than the Mexican food. Try to think of a word for that.

We did have an upscale Mexican food place open here and the owner/chef had gone to Europe for his Mexican food training. Ha! Needless to say it was only open for a few months.

I grew up, so to speek, in Northwest Texas and we had pretty good Mexican food there believe it or not. I guess that it was just close enough to the Mexican border to make a difference.

Oh yes, brand loyality. I prefer brands that have good quality for reasonable prices and we all pretty much know who those companies are. I would prefer to buy tools made in the USA but that is becoming almost impossible for many tools, especially power tools. So I think that I do not have too much "tool pride" as I have several different brands but the ones that I think that are exceptional for the price I do not mind letting people know about them.

Last edited:
Wow, took me 7 pages to chime in, but here goes...

First and foremost...eat lobster. No salsa needed, just crustacean dipped in butter and you're done. :thumb:

As for brand loyality, I was a victim of that once. Not on here but on Wood Online. This was a few years ago but I just got done routing some raised panel doors and I smoked a 1-3/4 hp Milwaukee router of theres. A few days later I was drilling through a wall with a 4 inch hole saw and smoked a ½ inch drill. My question was pretty simple...since I had two products of that company, and had two failures, was there motors "soft".

I honestly never meant to generate such a hot topic, but talk about hate mail. I was blasted from every Milwaukee fan that ever posted on that forum.

Oh well. I will let the others rant and rave, brag and berate and in 50 years I will just have to fight Jeff Horton and Paul Hubbman over the "old iron" made in the good ole year of 2007. Of course by then it will be 2047 and everyone else will be using nuclear powered lasersaws with photon particle collectors and hydraulic retractable fiber separators. Oh well, time to get off my soap box and go fire up my old swing saw and cross cut some house trim!!

Great thread, inspite of the mexican food standoff :D

I have always been uncomfortable with the "gloats" but have, from time to time, posted some of my own -- seems like a way to join in the fun.

I thank the moderators for avoiding some of the problems we all have seen on other forums, and for all of us who participate here for being considerate off each other.

Like Jesse I am looking toward improving my quality/output without wasting time or wearing out my body. Although I'm only 60, I was shocked to learn that I have arthritis in my right hand thumb. Guess what, I'm looking for anthing that will reduce repetitive stress /motion so I can enjoy this hobby as long as possible. So, I'm going to be buying using more power tools than someone else who, perhaps, isn't facing the same issues. Last year I build a mortising jig for my router, it was a fun project, but then I realized that to use it I would be mounting/unmounting my router from the jib. Furthermore, in spite of all my efforts to build this thing exactly (trust me I spent a lot of time on it) I don't think that the head/body were perfectly square. So I ended up with something that isn't going to improve the quality of my work, and I didn't want to hand cut mortises so I bought a machine that will do that for me. I'm not going to say what kind or what color -- just that it fit my needs and budget.

I am thinking about a lathe purchase (yeah that sale got my attention!) and have gotten a lot of wonderful advice here from people who have actually used the one I'm interested in. It isn't the most expensive, or the cheapest, or the biggest or the smallest, but it sounds like it will allow me do develop my capabilites in a reasonable manner. Maybe I should start smaller, but knowing that I want to turn larger pieces it seems to me that I would be throwing good money after bad. Others might take a different approach, but that is what makes sense to me.

And that is what I like about this place, we try to realize that few of us can completely understand all the factors that are behind a post, heck if I had to write all of my thoughts on something out I would never get to the shop.

I remember being chastised on another forum by someone who kept reminding everyone that "you don't need expensive tools" when I politely suggested that that was the person's decisions not the other posters. I don't know what trade offs others make in their lives to support their wood working interest, but I have yet to meet someone where money is not a consideration. We all make our choices for reasons that are right for us, and, hopefully, all of us will be able to remain neutral when we read other posts about their tools/shops.

It seems that there is a natural evolution in tool purchases, as we start to get more involved we all develop higher standards and want the capabilites that better tools will provide. But after a while, we've built a stable of tools necessary to do the job and then focus on the work. Personally, when it comes to large machine tools I try to buy the best tool my budget can afford, I'd rather do that then buy a starter tool and then have to replace it with another better one in a couple of years. That is just my approach, I am sure there are other who feel differently. What really counts is the work.

I know I get jealous when I see some of the shops others have here, I'm space challenged (but probably not as much as Stu) and then I go back to trying to figure out what my next project will be.

Thanks to everyone for their contributions to this thread, I think it will help all of us keep this forum a very special place on the web.

Jay

Personally, when it comes to large machine tools I try to buy the best tool my budget can afford, I'd rather do that then buy a starter tool and then have to replace it with another better one in a couple of years. That is just my approach, I am sure there are other who feel differently.
Jay

That is a smart move in my book.

All I know is if you don't have an orange tablesaw to go with your green shop carpet, then there's no way you're as cool as me. :cool: :rofl:

UH....Vaughn.....I have the twin to your orange table saw.....I wondering how it's gonna look with mustard and white.......and Onieda yellow......Uh.......I wish I hadn't started having this thought....My neighbors wife won't be allowed in my shop...she wan't to accessorize with curtains that will draw everything together.........

Why did I remember the colors of all my bigger equiments?

UH....Vaughn.....I have the twin to your orange table saw.....I wondering how it's gonna look with mustard and white.......and Onieda yellow......Uh.......I wish I hadn't started having this thought....My neighbors wife won't be allowed in my shop...she wan't to accessorize with curtains that will draw everything together.........

Why did I remember the colors of all my bigger equiments?

Well Ken, looks like you're gonna have to find something you like that's RED, and maybe paint your workbench orchid/purple, and then it's easy to find two or three GREEN ones, and then you can call it either your "TOOL Garden", or "TOOL BOUQUET". :rofl::rofl::rofl: (Then you won't need the CURTAINS):D

Geez Ken, I wish you hadn't brought this up, 'cause now you've got me thinking about the colors in my shop. Let's see, there's two blue & white, one mustard, two green, two grey, one Gold, one (color not selected yet) to be painted after I put it together, and then the bright yellow roll around scaffold/storeage rack. Besides those of mine, I have two of those Orange ones of my Buddie's in there also. What a menagerie, and the portable pwr tools are as varied or worse, and this doesn't even include the main compressor or the Red Pancake. I think maybe I should wear my sunglasses when I go in there. I guess I should call it "The WILD FLOWER ROOM".

Last edited:
my shop`s colored in sawdust.....the color depends on what type of wood i`m cuttin`. the floor has a beeeautiful texture of glue-n-lacquer spills given depth with accumulated sawdust...maybe not a purdy as vaughns-n-kens but i kinda like the earth tones.:rolleyes:

my shop`s colored in sawdust.....the color depends on what type of wood i`m cuttin`. the floor has a beeeautiful texture of glue-n-lacquer spills given depth with accumulated sawdust...maybe not a purdy as vaughns-n-kens but i kinda like the earth tones.:rolleyes:

Hey, Tod, that sounds pretty neat. You may have even outclassed Vaughn, 'cause not EVERYONE can design and build a Real "SCULPTURED" Floor,.......now maybe if you spilled a little bit of dye around in strategic spots to highlight those different colors of sawdust...........:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: