Doorlink's Birthday present

Hey Bill, that looks great, please tell Doorlink "Happy Birthday" from us too! :wave:

And while you are at it......... remind us why you call such a lovely lady "Doorlink" inquiring minds wish to know ;) :D

Googled Doorlink.......

A quick google search found these?
carriage-doorlink795.jpg
doorlink2.jpg
doorlink.jpg
Banner-doorlink___-.jpg
update6.gif
robber.jpg

But I'm guessing (hoping?) none of them have anything to do with the mystery. :D

Gentlemen,

I used to be a member of another site. When Doorlink did a recital for her master's degree last year, I posted a link to the video of the recital. If you're curious, you can find it here:

http://faculty.cua.edu/lantry/doorlink.htm

For some reason, when I posted that, I got the same questions about her name, along with a lot of other questions. Here's what I said at the time. Please forgive me in advance, I do have a tendency to be longwinded on this subject... ;)

There is one thing I suppose I should explain. I have many favorite mystery writers, but if you catch me on the right day, I'd say that one of them is Jonathon Gash. The chief character in them is a pretty disreputable antiques dealer and sometime furniture maker. He has a checkered background and a very checkered character, but somehow gets involved with one or two fairly upscale women. In one of them, it may be 'the lies of fair ladies' or perhaps 'the sin within her smile', the female lead's southern english accent is almost a character, so that the pronunciation often written as darhling is more accurately transcribed as doorlink...

There are many mysteries to her singing. Not only does she do a killer english accent, but when she's singing, say, a spanish song, she actually begins to look spanish. I have no explanation for this. I tease her by calling her a changling, but that's not quite the right word. Chameleon has bad overtones. But one day, over lunch, I told her she looked like Diane Sawyer that day. She confessed she'd just watched a 30 minute Diane Sawyer program. It sounds crazy, I know. But don't take my word for it. Her favorite color is purple. The dress she wore for her recital was emerald green. when I first saw the tape, I almost fell on the floor. We've filmed in that hall dozens of times, and we've never had that problem. We control the sound, the lighting, everything. So how does a green dress turn purple? I have no idea, but if you look very closely, you can see the reflection of the dress in the piano. The reflection is emerald green.

On singing in english: I had an old Bergson professor who said, in an off hand comment: we do not choose, we are chosen. I would never have been able to choose her, but for some still unknown reason, she decided on me, and sealed the deal by privately singing an old english ballad: 'Annachie Gordon'. I did my best to resist, but by the time she got the last chorus out, I was done, and it was all over but the shouting. Now I wake up every morning and thank the goddess that grace comes into our lives, even if, perhaps especially if, we don't deserve it.

On comparisons to other singers: she has done opera. This year she was Despina in Cosi Fan Tutti. She could fill opera houses, but she has a serious calling, some people call it a vocation, so she chooses to fill churches instead. Right now she's off singing a mass. There's a big church in Bethesda, and there's only one reason it's packed at 8 am every sunday morning- they know she'll be singing there. It's not unusual for her to sing at four or five different churches on a weekend. She's sung for two presidents, but she prefers to sing to 2000 people in a church than to the same number in a concert hall. Her mother doesn't understand it, and I'm not sure I do... but we mortals must do our best to support our betters, whatever they choose to do...

You can probably tell I could go on and on. Yes, she looks quite young: people ask me if James is my grandson, but they never ask her that kind of thing. Before you accuse me of cradle robbing, though, remember that #1 son is just finishing college, so there'll be two graduations in one year: his in music and hers in sacred music. Oh, and one last thing: in day to day life, she goes by Kate Lantry, but her singing name is Kathleen Fitzpatrick (her maiden name). If anyone's interested in hearing more, you may wish to try http://faculty.cua.edu/lantry/katefitzpatrick.htm . I recommend the Ave Maria...

I should mention that the purpleheart frame size (interior dimension) is 21" x 12", so it's bigger than it looks in the picture.

thanks,

Bill

Last edited:
Bill, I watched both "Ave Maria" and "Panis Angelicus", and your wife's voice is beautiful; unfortunately, my DSL decided to go out about 1/3 of the way through the other recital. She has a real gift---unfortunately, I ruined my own voice about 40 years ago!!

Happy Birthday, Kate.

Nancy (93 days)

With Stu's gold leafing project on-the-brain, it occurs to me that there is at least one alternate spelling for LOBLL's (Love Of Bill Lantry's Life)'s nickname:
d'or link
Sounds like a ring ... one of a pair of golden bands that join together.... :thumb:

Last edited:
Bill,

My thanks for presenting such a beautiful talent to us. Your wife is a fantastic singer. Her singing Ave Maria brought tears to my eyes. You see, I lost my Sister suddenly a few years ago in Richmond, VA, and her name was Marie. The Ave Maria was sung at her funeral and I don't think there was a dry eye in the church. When Kate was singing, I could clearly see that day and remembered the feelings. It hurt to hear the song again knowing what I had lost, but it felt good to hear it sung so well. The meaning of that song will always be with me. Thanks again. I'd love a recording of her singing that song.

My best wishes for a very Happy Birthday to Kate, with many, many more to follow.

Aloha, Tony

P.S.

Nice frame too. It looks good with Doorlink in it.

That is a very nice frame.

I was going to make a joke about your "creative recycling of the purpleheart sawdust to make the cake", but the somberness of the last post dictates that I just leave the joking half said.

I'll listen to the Doorlink links after I make it out the door and get home.

Purty frame, cool story, purty girl . . .

you got it made !

But . . . I've got some purple heart scrap I was going to use someday. Was wondering . . . it does'nt darken with finnish ? I can see the natural color pretty well from here.

But . . . I've got some purple heart scrap I was going to use someday. Was wondering . . . it does'nt darken with finnish ? I can see the natural color pretty well from here.

Congrats Bill. Cherish her always.

Steve,
Purpleheart will darken with time.

I have a 10 year old bookcase with some purpleheart trim. It was finished with water based varathane, and the purpleheart is now more of a reddish browh.

I also have a Stereo cabinet, about 9 years old, with some purpleheart trim (same board as the bookcase). I finished that with polymerized tung oil from Lee Valley. That trim has aged to more of a rich dark burgundy.

I don't think there is any way to keep it the rich purple you get when it is freshly machined.

Roger that, . . .

Was wondering because I used a chuck of redwood one time and the second varnish touched it it turned, almost, black ! The transformation 'bout scared me only because I had'nt planned on it.:eek: Now days I use the effect to my advantage, but that first time . . . WHEW ! The things we learn by accident . . .