I built another shed

Frank Pellow

This one was a woodshed and only took about 20 hours to build. For those of you who saw previous threads and pictures about Shed 2 (my workshop) and about the garden shed adjacent to it, this shed fills in the small gap that was left on the west side of our back garden.

Wood Shed 18 -Finished Expanse of all our sheds -small.JPG

The woodshed is the building on the right. The garden shed is the building on the left and the three-roofed building in the middle is my shop. I think that the new building (sort of) adds some symmetry.

I will submit another post in this thread showing how the woodshed was constructed.

Last edited:
Frank,

Is it the shorter shed with the dark roof line to the right of all your buildings? Did you just build it...after coming back from Pellow's Camp?

Looking forward to the construction pics. :lurk:

Frank
Why not build hall ways to all the sheds, make one shed
Dinning room, one living room, one sleeping room etc

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I took these notes as I was building the place.

As well as serving as a woodshed, the building will hide the inevitable junk that we collect.

First, here is a before view of the area where the shed is to be built. It will be right beside the enclosed garden that used to be occupied by strawberries –and which will, next year, be occupied by strawberries again.

Wood Shed 01 -From south-east -Before starting -small.JPG

The shed will be long (about 3 metres) and skinny (about 50 centimetres) and quite high for the other dimensions (about 230 centimetres at the front). It will be enclosed on three sides but the front will be open. It will be designed to hold a single pile of wood in the bottom portion with a shelf near the top for storing boxes of kindling.

The structure will be supported by four posts each, in turn, held in place by a metal post supports. This following picture shows a post support being driven into the ground:

Wood Shed 04 -Lining up post support -small.JPG

The new shed will have the same pine board and batten siding that was used on the other two sheds. The wood is inexpensive, fast to install, wears well, and looks good. I pre-stained the boards:

Wood Shed 05-Pre-staining boards -small.JPG

I learned from the mistake I made when constructing the shop shed :eek:, and this time put shellac on the knots before staining the boards.

The floor of the shed is going to be some interlocking brick from the sidewalk that I removed from the front of the house. In this photo, I am excavating a bit of soil to make room for limestone screenings and bricks.

Wood Shed 06 -Digging out place for brick floor -small.JPG

I cut notches into the posts to hold vertical boards. The really long and really strong blade on my jig saw made this task quite easy:

Wood Shed 07 -Cutting notches with a very long jig saw blade -small.JPG

A chisel was also used.

In spite of taking lots of care to measure and determine to proper location of the post supports, one of them was a couple of centimetres out of position :eek:. It was possible to overcome this by notching the post and driving in a wedge in on the opposite side:

Wood Shed 09 -Compensating for poorly hammered in post support -small.JPG

The three lower cross pieces on the back wall are simply there to provide something into which the boards and the battens can be screwed. I cut a 2x4 into three pieces to provide these. The upper cross piece is a 2x4 because it needs to support a shelf:

Wood Shed 11 -From south-east -With most of the framework done -small.JPG

I’m pleased to say that all the sides are square and all the posts are dead-level. :)

Wood Shed 12 -Frank confirms that post is dead level -small.JPG

I’m not pleased to admit :eek: that I goofed when cutting the notches for the 2x4 cross piece in the rear wall. I forgot that the back posts were to be longer than the front posts and, so the notches on the front and rear posts did not align. It was necessary to cut new notches into the two rear posts in order to accommodate a second 2x4.

Wood Shed 13 -Back notches at wrong level -small.JPG

Attaching the siding, the roof, and laying the floor were all very easy and very fast tasks which I completed today. And here I am starting to pile firewood in the shed:

Wood Shed 19 -Finished and starting to pile wood in it -small.JPG

The box on the shelf is a simple one made with butt joints from leftover 1 inch by 12 inch pine boards. I plan to make several such boxes and to use them to store small cutoffs and kindling both on the top shelf in the woodshed and near the stove in the shop.

Since this shed was so simple to build, so inexpensive, and so useful, I plan to make another one. It will be hidden in behind the one that I just built and will be about the same length but twice as wide and slightly higher. I might put a front door on part of the still-to-be-built shed. It will be used for firewood storage, for wood storage, and for partly completed project storage.

Last edited:
Frank,

Is it the shorter shed with the dark roof line to the right of all your buildings? Did you just build it...after coming back from Pellow's Camp?

Looking forward to the construction pics. :lurk:
That's the one and, yes, I just built it.

Greg, You will be pleased to know that, nowhere in the construction, did I use and Festool sanders. :D

Nice shed, Frank. Will you be building a deck, similar to the one on the left of your shop, around the shed? It would tie everything together and it looks like you have quite a few boards leaning up against you shop that could be used....

I believe I told you that I got my Rotex 150 and Deltex 93 based on your comments and the post you made about refurbishing your deck...and the cabin thread. They have worked very well, and I will soon be using them to do some sanding before I paint the exterior of my house. Thanks, again. :thumb:

Nice shed, Frank. Will you be building a deck, similar to the one on the left of your shop, around the shed? It would tie everything together and it looks like you have quite a few boards leaning up against you shop that could be used....
:
Thanks Greg and no, there will not be any more deck.

I believe I told you that I got my Rotex 150 and Deltex 93 based on your comments and the post you made about refurbishing your deck...and the cabin thread. They have worked very well, and I will soon be using them to do some sanding before I paint the exterior of my house. Thanks, again. :thumb:
No, I didn't know that -I should get a commission from Festool, you are one of a few people who have bought Festool stuff based upon experience. :) I trust that you will continue to be happy that you bought the sanders.

Frank, you need to slow down. You''re making us young guys look bad. :p

Nice job on the shed. And a thorough narrative, as usual. :thumb:

I'll talk to Bob Marino and see what we can do for ya....:rofl:

Here's the post.

http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showpost.php?p=32739&postcount=1

If you don't put a deck up, are you planning any stone or other material on the ground. Having something firm to walk on when you're hauling wood back and forth would be sure be good, especially if you get much rain.
Thanks for the reference to the post that I missed. And, yes, the sdanders are louder than I would like. I almost always wear ear muffs when using them.

Most of the time when I am hauling wood to heat the shop, we have snow. But it does get soggy out there sometimes and I plan to put in a flagstone walk.

:eek: Another?

:lurk: Details! We need details! :rofl::rofl:
I am ging to start on the shed this morning and, once fiished, you will get details.

That is quite a skyline you're creating there Frank!
Yes, and some :eek: of the neighbours even like it. The shed that I am going to start today will put one more small blip on the skyline, but it will, for the most part, be hidden.

Really, really, really neat, Frank! :thumb:

I have to build at least two, similar to yours, for lumber storage. Or maybe just a larger one - but that might make the cost higher.

Decisions, decisions! Maybe by Spring I will have made up my mind, and will be able to set aside the time to do it. I am always amazed by the amount of building you go through every summer!!!

Al
http://blog.sandal-woods.com/

As I said back in September in post #4 in this thread: “Since this shed was so simple to build, so inexpensive, and so useful, I plan to make another one. It will be hidden in behind the one that I just built and will be about the same length but twice as wide and slightly higher. I might put a front door on part of the still-to-be-built shed. It will be used for firewood storage, for wood storage, and for partly completed project storage.”

That shed has now been built.

In late September and for one day in mid October, I built the frame. First I had to turn over and level the soil in the location that the shed is to occupy:

Wood Shed 20 -Digging  ground where another shed is to be built -small.JPG

That’s part of our compost bin to the left of the shed location.

I goofed :eek: when cutting some of the notches and had to compensate for the goof:

Wood Shed 21 -I cut some notches in the wrong place -small.JPG

Here, the frame is mostly complete:

Wood Shed 22 -Working on  frame for the second woodshed -small.JPG

I was away most of October, so did not make much progress. Here is the completed frame:

Wood Shed 23 -The frame for the second shed has been completed -small.JPG

I got back to the job this week. Here, the siding and roof boards have mostly been installed and I am starting to work on the floor:

Wood Shed 26 -Installing floor -2 -small.JPG

I am using up old bricks removed fro0m other places on the property and I do not have enough of any one kind to do the floor. Thus, the joint in the middle:

Wood Shed 27 -Installing floor -3 -small.JPG

In the background, that’s my water cooled tile cutting saw doing duty (with difficulty) as a brick cutting saw.

Here is the (almost) finished shed as it was a couple of hours ago:

Wood Shed 28 -Almsot finished -small.JPG

I have already started to store stuff in it.

Here it is as viewed from the roof of the workshop shed:

Wood Shed 29 -As viewed from the workshop roof -small.JPG

And here are all four sheds as viewed from an upstairs window in our house:

Wood Shed 30 -The set of four sheds as viewed from an upstairs window in our house -small.JPG

Last edited: