Consumer Woodworking Expos

Jim DeLaney

Staff member
I just got an ad for the Consumer Woodworking Expos in today's mail. Has anyone hare ever been to one?

Their website doesn't have much to say about the show itself, but does promote the seminars. Mike Heavey, Jim Heavey, and Kerry Pierce are the presenters, and truthfully, I have never heard of any of them.

Show sponsors are said to be Delta/P-C; Apollo Sprayers; DeWalt; Peachtree; Wood Magazine; and Marc Adams School of Woodworking.

All seemingly good sponsors, but no mention is made of what will actually be at the 'expo.'

This show is a two hour drive away from here - on the far side of Pittsburgh from me - and i'd hate to make the trip only to find out I can cover the whole show in fifteen minutes. This has happened to me before, and it ain't a 'warm fuzzy' when that happens.

So, anybody got any experience with this show series?

Thanx.

Jim,

If it were me, I think I'd be tempted to just keep driving all the way to the tent sale in central Pa. this weekend. ;)

Really, I like peachtree for some stuff... but they sell it all on the website... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Woodworker's show

Jim
I have been to a few of them.
They do not have ALL the manufacturers represented.
BUT you do get some deals on "stuff".
You have to want some tools or equipment and know the deals online before you attempt to "deal" at the show.
The seminars are GOOD.
The show is even "in my neck of the woods."
I don't need anything! BUt may go to see the "deals". Even though I would have to pay to enter.
Daniel

cost of gas + addmitance?............you have a shop and wood.....order a book, stay home and build something.;)

A way to make sure the drive is worth while is to arrange a get together with other FWW members. Alan, Tony and I met with some friends at the Tampa show earlier this year and had a fun chat. Perhaps we can arrange a bigger event this year, but first we have to find out where it will be held! I think Orlando, because they seem to alternate venues.

Alan! Did you get the hint? :rofl: You seem to have some great organizational skills that are being under utilized

Jay

I don't know about that show either Jim but I go along with Jay on this one. The get together with the FWW memebers was really the highlight. We even all went out to lunch together for a break from the show. The show was a great bonus. If you are able to visit with some of the FWW members then the drive will be worth it even if the show is a bust. Kind of like having insurance on the event. Better yet plan on flying down to Florida for this comming years show. As they say "We'll keep the light on for you".

That's do it again Jay. I will keep my eyes open. You also Tony. A larger group would be even better. Maybe Sam will be back with his MM machines and will plan some time off so that he can have lunch with us this time. How about you Don Taylor? I know that there are more. As time gets closer we can work on it harder.

I've been to The Wood Working Show in Columbus two years running. They have them all around the country and the demos have been good. Learned a lot about sharpening my turning tools this last time. Some of the deals are good, some not so much, but I've always been happy w/the vendor selection.

Frank, Peachtree sells WW stuff and they have some pretty good deals, especially at the show. I got my last bowl gouges at the show this year and saved over $10 on each of the 4. I can live with that kind of savings.;)

I've been to The Wood Working Show in Columbus two years running. They have them all around the country and the demos have been good. Learned a lot about sharpening my turning tools this last time. Some of the deals are good, some not so much, but I've always been happy w/the vendor selection....

Yeah, Billy, I've gone to that one for the past three years, too. I always hit the WoodWerks open house, across town. each year, too. They hold it the same days as the show, and usually have better deals than the show has. They also have a huge quantity of Festool in stock, and the regional rep there for 'show & tell,' too.

While I'm in the area, I generally hit the Woodcraft store - on the other side of town - on Cemetary Road, too, since they're nearly the closest one to me, and better stocked than the Cleveland area store.

It's about a 3½ hour drive - which can be a bit questionable in early January - for me to get to Columbus, so the whife and I generally stay there overnight and have a good dinner somewhere, and hit Easton Center for some shopping not otherwise available in our locale before heading home the next day.

Thanks, interesting stuff. I added to my Favorites. They sure don't excite the search engines very well, though.

Frank that's because "Peachtree" is also a very popular name for accounting software (as you found out), Hotels, door and window manufacturing etc.

When you use Google (or others) sometimes it's best to add a word or two to your search to help narrow things down. For example "Peachtree tools" or "Peachtree woodworking" (without the quotes). Note that "peachtree tools" comes back with what you're looking for but it also includes links to Peachtree Accounting software again which is also considered a "tool", whereas "peachtree woodworking" pretty much nails it :D:rofl:

Sorry for steering this thread off course, just trying to help Frank out here :wave: