Some Future Boxes....

Stuart Ablett

Well, I've not had a lot to show for myself as of late, been busy with various small, but time consuming things.

I did get to clearing up some old chunks of wood I had laying around, they were all quarters, or even eighths of round pieces, that were cut offs from bowl blanks. Being the free wood scrounge that I am, I could not toss them out, and I'm glad I did not.

I cut them up as blanks for boxes :D

Now I know some will say that my lathe is for making stuff round, and it does that well, but, by using the Phoenix, I got two nice pieces out of some of the chunks, bonus!

phoenix_cuts1.JPG phoenix_cuts2.JPG

Only if you have not had a bandsaw that will cut circles, will you appreciate one like I do, when you finally have it, and can cut circles :thumb:

future_boxes.JPG
Now I got to wait a while, they seems to still be a bit wet, they measured out at 9% on my moisture meter, so I'll give them a little while to dry some more, but should make some nice looking boxes, the wood is the Cherry I've made some bowls from.

Cheers!

Stu, you are cutting these box blanks so the grain is running from top to bottom aren't you? I mean, you can turn boxes from wood with the grain running side to side but they will not be as stable as boxes turned from end grain wood- grain running top to bottom.

None of my business really, just curious.....

Stu, you are cutting these box blanks so the grain is running from top to bottom aren't you? I mean, you can turn boxes from wood with the grain running side to side but they will not be as stable as boxes turned from end grain wood- grain running top to bottom.

None of my business really, just curious.....

Yes Mike, that is correct, top to bottom, and PLEASE don't be shy if you see me sticking my foot in it, PLEASE point it out! :D :wave:

That Phoenix must be one heck of a bandsaw...it even cut the tenons on the ends of some of your blanks. :p

Is that gray twin-tank thing in the background a vacuum reservoir?

You bet Vaughn, the Phoenix even does the kids homework, it's THAT good! :D

Yes also to the vacuum tanks, going to be posting on that soon too, all I can say now is that it REALLY sucks! :wave: :rofl:

Hey Stu,

From the amount of blanks you've made, I gather that you're truly hooked on turning boxes!

If you're iching to turn them, you might want to hollow them out so they dry quicker.

-Gari