A Few Bottle Stoppers and a Screwdriver

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
Gearing up for Christmas sales and gifts, and since I had the photo tent set up, I figured I'd share these here.

First up is an assortment of bottle stoppers. These are all finished with CA, and the woods (from left to right) are brown dyed buckeye burl, natural buckeye burl, turquoise dyed buckeye burl, pao ferro, and natural buckeye burl. This display is ready to go to the office with me in hopes of making a bit of Christmas money.

Group Shot 1a C 640.jpg

This is a multi-tip screwdriver made out of black palm using a Rockler kit. It's pretty tough wood to turn...sharp tools and high speeds seemed to help. It's finished with CA and buffed. The end grain on the black palm has a very cool "confetti" or "leopard" look to it. I built up the CA real thick, so I could sand it smooth and have no surface variations. The pics don't really show it, but this thing feels and looks like it was dipped in molten glass. This one is intended as a gift for one of my nephews. I have enough palm wood (and hardware) for two more of these, one of which is planned for another gift, and the third will likely be sold.

Black Palm 1a C 640.jpg Black Palm 1b C 640.jpg Black Palm 1c  C 640.jpg

As always, comments and critiques are welcome...thanks for looking.

Those all look great, I've really got to get into the bottle stopper things.... :eek:

That is the first time I've seen the screwdriver set, that would have been perfect for Christmas gifts :doh:

Cheers!

Nice Vaughn. I ordered 5 of the Rockler kits 2 weeks ago for Christmas presents and some walnut and cherry 2 x 2's to go with them. Now, I just need to find the time!

Corey