Finial help

Chuck Beland

I need to make 5 more ring bowls 3 are for one of my customers grand daughters. I would like to change the design on the finial for each one. I pretty much can get the design I like for the bowls but I really need help / advise on designing finials. For instance for a 4" wide x 2" tall bowl what length should the finial be? also how thick? Also basic designing of them? For some reason I'm having a real problem with finials?:huh:

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Chuck

Hi Chuck. That's difficult to answer. Finial design is so freestyle that you can pretty much do it anyway you want.

Are you talking about a finial on top of a lidded bowl or the ring stem that sits inside a bowl?

My advice would be to browse one of the woodturning "member gallery" sites that are available (such as AAW) and look at lots of pics. You'll find finials everywhere and might find a style or design that inspires you.

Hi Chuck, I agree with Neal, it's hard to say. But I think I can help you with a recently made segmented lidded bowl, also I have the design drawing of this lidded bowl.
I think the best is to send you this on your private e-mail address, Okay.

Chuck, if I understand this correctly, you are referring to the finial that the rings go on. The only critical factor on the shape is size. While I've seen many that are simply straight, I personally think they look better with some shape. What shape? This is a matter of opinion, but any freestayle shape looks nice. Just remember that it can't be too thick (in diameter) or the rings won't sit well on it. If your intent is to "capture" the rings part way down leaving the bowl for other items, that can work well too. It's really up to you.

HI Ad,
I got your E mail just now. Have you been on TIF lately I haven't seen any posts from you?

Guy's yes it's for the rings. I guess due to it being a free style & for the design of the bowls should I make soft curves or sharp curves I want it to compliment the bowl not competition with it.

Chuck