first lathe on the way

I made a somewhat impulsive purchase today - Amazon (through Timberline Tools) had the Delta mini for $139 plus shipping ~$40. The same buddy who pointed me in the direction of this deal offered to hook me up with a 5 piece Buck Brothers chisel set to get started with once it arrives. I hope Bill Grumbine has videos in stock at the Robust party (hint, hint). :wave:

I'm planning a trip to the nearest (but definitely not local) Woodcraft store next week mostly to browse, but also to buy some link belt for my bandsaw - are there any chisels that would be worth considering?

Congrats Mark on the Delta. You will like it. I had one and gave it to my nephew to get him started turning. As far as tools go Pinnacle, Sorby, Ellsworth, etc. are all good tools. I started out by buying some Benjamins Best tools from PSI because I didn't want to ruin any $100 tools learning to sharpen. One thing you will want is a Wolverine sharpening jig or a sharpening jig to sharpen your tools. That is the key to turning is properly sharpened tools so they are sharp. Good luck and by the way both of Bill's DVD are awesome.

Congrats, Mark. :thumb: I've read good things about that lathe, so it should serve you well. And when you upgrade to a bigger one down the road, you'll still be able to find uses for the little one, I'll bet.

Hitch up your boots, the ride's just beginning. :D Plan to spend some more money getting set up, but it's money well spent. My slide into the Abyss started with an Amazon purchase too. (The Wilton mini lathe...I had a gift certificate burning a hole in my pocket.) You'll look at fallen trees in a whole new way. ;)

Hey Ken........... we got another one.......!!! :D :thumb:

Whoo-Hoo!! :headbang:
Congrats Mike, take Bernie's advice and get that jig, makes a world of difference.

Good luck!:wave:

Congrats, Mark. :thumb: I've read good things about that lathe, so it should serve you well. And when you upgrade to a bigger one down the road, you'll still be able to find uses for the little one, I'll bet.

Hitch up your boots, the ride's just beginning. :D Plan to spend some more money getting set up, but it's money well spent. My slide into the Abyss started with an Amazon purchase too. (The Wilton mini lathe...I had a gift certificate burning a hole in my pocket.) You'll look at fallen trees in a whole new way. ;)

you aint just whistling dixie, I know where some birch logs are , drove past them two days in a row, first time by accident, 2nd time to see if they were still there. a lot big for his little lathe though... 2' to 3' in diameter. what's the swing on that delta? :rofl:

you aint just whistling dixie, I know where some birch logs are , drove past them two days in a row, first time by accident, 2nd time to see if they were still there. a lot big for his little lathe though... 2' to 3' in diameter. what's the swing on that delta? :rofl:

Ned, that is what chainsaws are for! :D :thumb:

I saved some crotch wood from a free maple that I harvested recently for turning stock. I measured the pieces today and I think most will fit as is, and some others may need some creative bandsaw work first.

Congratulations on the lathe. I have a Buck Brothers skew that I got at a garage sale. It does not hold an edge well at all and I'm planning on replacing. Look for one of the other reccomended brands, IMHO.

Congrats on the lathe and welcome to the vortex!

I'll second Bernie's suggestion on the Wolverine. Pair it up with a Woodcraft slow-speed grinder and you'll have a great little sharpening system. Good bang for the buck.

How are you fixed for a chuck? There are several good one's on the market for the mini/midi range lathe. Oneway Talon, Teknatool SN2 or G3, and PSI Barracuda2 come to mind. Can't go wrong with any of them.

Other than my lathe there are three things I bought that I wonder how I ever did without. My Talon chuck, Wolverine jig, and Beall buffing system.

I found a new Barracuda 2 on ebay for $150 - $160 shipped and taxed (Wierd Al really needs to do a satire of the "I love NY" tourism song) that will be on the way later this week (need to wait until Thursday payday - I could make the payment right now, but then I wouldn't be able to eat lunch today or tomorrow.

I made it to the day before payday without starving, so I transferred some cash around and now the chuck is on the way as well, coming from Long Island. The lathe has arrived at a UPS depot in PA somewhere. With luck these items will both arrive Friday for a fun filled weekend of making spiralled wood shavings!

Mark, congrats on the impending arrivals! I plan on getting the same chuck soon as well. Let me know what you think of it, and remember, we like to see pics! Just for an idea, maybe a pic of the lathe when it's set up and then one of you by it covered in curlys:dunno: