Inside Out Ornament WIP

Stuart Ablett

We shall see if this one survives the trip.........:doh:

inside_out_template.JPG
OK here is the first stage, with the template in place, showing the half circle I had to cut. It was HARD to do, for me anyway, but MAN it was hard to get that just right....

inside_out_sanded.JPG
OK sanded and then finished.

inside_out_2nd_stage.JPG
Now I've split the four pieces and turned them around, and they are now glued up.

Dunno if this is going to work out, but I'm going to give it a spin! :wave:

That's going to be a very delicate ornament! Extremely sharp tools, Extremely light touch with them, throw some salt over your shoulder, and maybe save the bones from your last bucket of KFC, and you should be able to pull it off.

Hey Stu, I tried one of those after your post the other day. Got just past your last pic, and it blew up on me. I haven't had a chance to play with it again!

Stu,

I think that you are going to find out that your circle was way too big to start with! You will probably end up with an ornament with flat faces and rounded corners. Not sure of the look that you were going for though, so maybe that is what you were trying to do. Good luck!

Yep, it went "Poof" I caught an edge, my own darn fault, it was near 5 AM, and I should have called it a night :rolleyes:

My buddy Neil dropped by with the used dirt bike I bought from him, and we sat around shooting the breeze well into the morning hours, I just wanted to touch it up a bit more....:doh:

I do consider it a win, and I learned a lot, just part of the trip I guess.

Robert, you were correct, the ends were left too long and that is what did me in, I swear I was only taking a light touch, but the whole thing flexed, and sprung back, causing my catch.......... or at least than it my story, and I'm sticking too it! :D

Last edited:
I am sorry it went poof on ya'. Heck, I am impressed that you got to where you did without it poofing. You have to take risks to improve your skills.

I have most of my poofs nailed to the rafters in my shop as a reminder not to do that again..... I am going to have to get a larger shop with more rafters.....:(

Last edited:
Well, there was nothing left of this one to nail anywhere, it really just turned into air in front of my eyes, quite neat actually :D

I've got some more gluing up, so I'll be taking some more shots at it in the next day or two.

Cheers!

Stuart, very interesting, you brought me on an idea.!!
Anyway, I like it what I saw, seems to me a bit tricky to turn.
Thanks for posting

That's too bad Stuart, it was going to be a nice one. I haven't turned an inside ornament in a while but I got thinking that maybe you could wrap the delicate fragile part with some of that blue masking tape to stabilize it while you finish of the ends. Not positive it would work but might be worth trying.

Stu, just reading this series of posts now. Was hollering, take the win and then I went to page 2 and it went "POOF". Yep, told you that happened to me also, all I wanted to do was "touch up that one spot". Danggone, sorry to hear, any blood? I am just now able to type with that little finger!!! Makes the a's, z's, q's and shift hard to do without that pinky (at least it wasn't a permanent loss!!!:rofl::rofl::rofl:)

HI Jonathan, no blood, I'm good at standing a bit to one side, plus, it just vaporized, there was not much there to come at me.

On the good news side, this one did survive.........

survivor1.JPG survivor2.JPG

Not very pretty, I've still got to work on the inside curve, or roundness, but at least it survived.

Cheers!