TV Cabinet

I delivered this cabinet to a client yesterday - he's just emailed me some photo's. It kinda turned out well.

Exterior.jpg

Opencabinet.jpg

I normally do more contemporary styles, but I really enjoyed making this. It was like being back in college!

THe piece is amazing. I'm still trying to complete my first piece and I'm having trouble with just straight clean lines. I can't even imagine how you design and then execute such beautiful doors. I hope my jeaously doesn't show to much.
Gene

Duncan, an outstanding piece of work. You did a great job.!!
Building cabinets and furniture was my first love in woodworking in the late 1970th.
In that time I had in my formal living place the right shop for building furniture.
After my move to Bergen op Zoom in 1983, I have to do it with a much smaller workshop.
Fine for woodturnings, to small for building cabinets and so on, sometimes I really miss that. Keep up your fantastic work.!!

You crazy Brits and the different meanings you have for common English words. :rolleyes: Over here, "kinda" means sort of, or perhaps. Apparently in the UK, "kinda" means undoubtedly. :p

That's beautiful work, Duncan. The veneer is gorgeous, and the cabinetry looks very nice. Thanks for showing it.

Duncan

We're going to have to get Vaughn to get an add on Thesauras for the vbulletin software so we don't repeat the same adjectives in our posts! :rofl:

That is a fantastic piece of work, can you tell us a bit more about the construction? I like the retro design, looks like there is going to be an old square TV tube inside it, and then you open it up to the high-tech flat screen. thanks so much for the post

Jay

Thanks for the comments, guys.

I must admit that when this job came along I nearly turned it down. The client is a retired doctor in his seventies who wanted a cabinet making for the new TV he had ordered in the style of the rest of the furniture in his living room. It was only when his wife started talking about a new kitchen for next year that I got interested!

I enlisted a fellow cabinet-maker friend to help me with the veneering. He does more of this kind of work and has all the gear. Between us we did the doors and the top in a couple of days. It is slow methodical work requiring a lot of jigs, gummed tape and a sharp scalpel. Fiddly as hell!

I was very lucky to have a buddy to help me through it. I do a lot of his finishing in my spray-shop so a deal was easily reached!

Back in my shop the MDF doors were lipped with a mahogany 'hockey stick' moulding machined on the router table using several cutters in quite a few passes.

The cabinet was a breeze in comparison. It's a bog standard construction in veneered MDF edged back and front in Brazilian mahogony. The double hinged doors are a trick I've used for years to allow for 270 degree opening. I used solid drawn brass hinges morticed both sides with a router and shop-built jig. Clamping the jig to the loose uprights seperating the doors from the cabinet was tricky. I solved it in the end using double sided tape - no workshop should be without a roll!

The finish is three coats of gloss AC lacquer. I claim no credit for this - my finishing guy, Paul did it.

All in all in it was a very enjoyable week taking me well outside my normal comfort zone.

Last edited:
Interesting.

This same cabinet is posted at Saw Mill Creen under the name Brad Naylor. Are you one and the same, Duncan?

That's me Al,

'Brad Naylor' is the name I use as a pseudenom on various forums. I got caught out here early on because I didn't realise that aliases were frowned upon so reverted to my real name.

I still find it a little odd. In England no-one uses their real names on forums!

I understand now, Duncan, and it is OK by me. I was thoroughly confused!

I believe that the Saw Mill Creek (especially) are pretty much opposed to the use of pseudonyms, too. I won't tell on you, though, although I posted something similar there.

By the way, WoodNet, the world's largest woodworking forum, still allows you to use pseudonyms. THAT is fine by me. I apologize if I cause you any problems :eek::eek::eek:.

Last edited:
Great job Duncan!:thumb:

I've done any veneering but if any time I make it, I wish it will come out as wonderful as yours in this cabinet.

Keep up with the good job!

OK, Duncan, that is very impressive!

I love the inlay, and that swinging corner hinge is really neat, I'll have to log that idea away for some future project! :clap: