Titan Chuck vs G3 Chuck

Stuart Ablett

Well, my box of fun came from Craft Supply today! :D :thumb:

The Titan chuck is HUGE compared to the G3 chuck.......

chuck_comparison.JPG

Yep, that is the G3 rattling around in the Titan chuck :D

titan_on_lathe_size.JPG
Here is the sizing

g3_normal_jaw_size.JPG g3_normal_jaws.JPG
OK, here is the G3 chuck with the standard jaws on it.....

g3_power_jaw_size.JPG g3_power_jaws.JPG
....and here are the new "Power Jaws" for the G3 chuck....

All in all, I'm pleased with this purchase, I can really see these being a good thing, but I now really want the SuperNova2 chuck, just to fill in the middle ground......:rolleyes: :D :rofl:

Cheers!

Stu, you received your order before I did. I haven't received anything yet.

You should have no problem chucking up anything with those jaws. I have not seen them in person and had no appreciation for how large they actually were. I have the Powergrip jaws for the Supernova II but they pale in comparison to the Titan. Aptly named methinks.....:thumb:

Well Mike, I imagine your stuff was shipped UPS ground, mine went (by mistake) UPS air, or whatever they call it.

Them jaws are HUGE, they should lend a LOT more stability to some of the bigger blanks I have left to turn :headbang:

Going to have to sell some stuff it I want to afford the SuperNova2 :D

I can see myself adding that chuck to complete the range for sure! :thumb:

Cheers!

Well Mike, I imagine your stuff was shipped UPS ground, mine went (by mistake) UPS air, or whatever they call it.

Them jaws are HUGE, they should lend a LOT more stability to some of the bigger blanks I have left to turn :headbang:

Going to have to sell some stuff it I want to afford the SuperNova2 :D

I can see myself adding that chuck to complete the range for sure! :thumb:

Cheers!

The one good thing is, Stu, you can buy just a chuck body and an insert as the rest of your jaws will fit the SN II.

One other thing you might not know is how well the spigot jaws from Teknatool work. The spigot jaws are longer than regular jaws providing extended reach and access behind the work piece and have serrations inside which grip tenaciously. I have not knocked a piece out of the chuck since I switched to the spigot jaws. They come in two sizes and are a heavier cross section than the regular profiled jaws. I like 'em!:thumb:

Yep, already thought of that one, I would need a nice clear glass insert, I just need to find the right one.

Cheers!

That should make a very nice looking ash tray, Stu. About 25 years ago, I got one of my "VERY FEW",:D Artsy Crafty Inspirations, and made a base for an ash tray with a glass ashtray inset in it. I didn't turn mine from wood though. I made a square form from wood and poured it full of plaster of paris and then pressed the glass ashtray into it until it was dry, and then removed it and applied Gold Leaf to the plaster of paris base. I took the glass ashtray and had my Initials etched onto the bottom of the glass ashtray, and it came out really neat. The etched letters really showed up with the gold leaf under the glass. I would take a picture of it, but about 6 years ago someone broke the base when I was out of town and the LOML threw it away before I got home or I would have repaired it.:doh::(

Norman, I don't think your wife liked the base......

Do you remember the lamp that was the prize in the movie "A Christmas Story"? Wives sometimes break things that men like and make them go away................................:huh:

That thing's huge, Stu. :eek: (Biting my tongue to avoid making some pithy remark about how you must hear that all the time.) :p You gonna start turning end grain boxes out of telephone pole sections?

Nice score. I was eyeing the SN2 during the sale, but the limits of my G3 seem to be in pretty good sync with the limits of my lathe. I think I'll hold off on the bigger chuck until I get a bigger lathe.

Vaughn, the power jaws that fit the G3 make a large difference in the size of tenon or square stock you can chuck up, if you want a cheap upgrade, get those!

Cheers!

What I really could use is a set of jaws between the 25mm and 50mm sets for the G3. There's a "won't fit either" tenon size in the middle there that I have to avoid. In other words, the max of the small jaws is smaller than the minimum of the larger jaws. Since about the largest I've tried to turn on my lathe was about 13" or 14" in diameter, I haven't had a need for anything bigger than the 50mm set so far.

Vaughn, Teknatool makes 35mm bowl jaws which have a thicker stronger profile dedicated for just bowl turning and they also make 35mm spigot jaws which I have that are a little longer and have serrations inside to really grab hold of a spigot/tenon. I use the spigot jaws for boxes but of course I am going to be removing the spigot. If you are going to be using the spigot as a decorative element then the 35mm dovetail profile jaws would be a better choice as there would be less damage to the wood.

OK, I'll bite, what in the Sam Hill is a "Spigot" when it comes to woodturning, I know what it is when it comes to kegs of beer, but woodturning? :huh: :dunno:

From what I can glean from various places on the net, when talking about the fixture we make on the bottom of a workpiece, used to attaching it to a chuck, we are talking about "Tennons". Usually when someone says "tenon" they are referring to a "Dovetailed Tenon" that is rather short in length, maybe only 3/8" or so, that is gripped by the dovetailed jaws of a chuck. When we hear "Spigot" is actually a "Spigot Tenon" that is usually much longer, and straight walled, NOT dovetailed, they can often be 1" long, or even more, like 3" long.

Does that sound right? :dunno:

Stu, a tenon is a spigot and a spigot is a tenon. It is the rounded piece of wood that has been sized and profiled as necessary to fit your chuck jaws.

For instance, typical 50mm jaws have a dovetail as the inside profile and also on the outside. So for the best fit the spigot/tenon should be shaped with a profile that approximates the dovetail profile of the jaws being used. If you are inserting the jaws into a recess then the recess should have a slight undercut that approximates the dovetail profile on the exterior of your jaws.

With my spigot jaws, the end is dovetailed but the internal surface is also serrated so if I turn a basic cylinder shaped spigot/tenon and clamp the jaws onto it the serrations will cut into the spigot/tenon and provide a much more tenacious grip. Spigot jaws can be used to hold by inserting into a recess but excell at gripping a tenon/spigot.

By sizing and shaping your tenon/spigot to match as closely the profile and optimum holding diameter the better your chuck jaws will hold the wood.

Now if any of that makes any sense ya'll let me know....:huh:

Yup, I grew up (in the UK) only knowing the term Spiggot, and had the same issue of figuring out what a tennon was :)

I've been eyeing up the 1" spiggot jaws for some time as the standard 2" jaw that came with my SN2 are sometimes too large for the size of box I usually turn. I wasn't sure to go for the flat or serrated edges but it seems that the latter are recommended, so my problem is solved :wave:

Vaughn, Teknatool makes 35mm bowl jaws which have a thicker stronger profile dedicated for just bowl turning and they also make 35mm spigot jaws which I have that are a little longer and have serrations inside to really grab hold of a spigot/tenon. I use the spigot jaws for boxes but of course I am going to be removing the spigot. If you are going to be using the spigot as a decorative element then the 35mm dovetail profile jaws would be a better choice as there would be less damage to the wood.
Thanks Mike. I'd done a bit of looking and hadn't found anything. Guess I'll do a bit more searching and see if I can find some.