keeping the buggies away, Oh, yea.

Frank Fusco

I have always believed that aromatic red cedar was an excellent natural insect repellant. And products are sold made of cedar that make that claim. Well, seasons are changing and I have a historical reenactment rendezvous coming up. Went to the storage area where I keep 'stuff' in plastic tubs. The kind with tight fitting lids. Opened the one with my wool coats, blankets, etc. inside. When put away, I placed a large quantity of cedar scraps inside to dissuade the buggies. When I opened, got a big surprise. INSIDE, the TIGHTLY SEALED tub was this cedar ball with a gift of a mud daubber wasp nest attached. :eek: The good news, I guess, is that I didn't see any evidence of moth activity.

Attachments

• DSC00826.JPG
    DSC00826.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 43
Frank, that has to be one of the nicest mud daubber nests I've ever seen! They are usually just a dirt tube. This gal made a mud daubber mansion! At least it wasn't something that would do too much damage, you can usually just wash the dirt off.

But if it was tightly sealed... then what did the wasp use for raw materials to make that nest?!?! :huh:

You would have to ask the wasp. :rolleyes: But, I usually shoot (Raid) first and ask questions later. ;)
About a week after we first moved into this house, we had millions of wasps everywhere. A crusade of squirting and killing has ensued since. We have cans of Raid at hand all around the house and garage. The numbers have been reduced to sorta tolerable.
Honestly, I dunno how they got into the tub.