Staining Cabinets....

This is one for any of you cabinet builders.. such as Steve Clardy :D hint hint. I will soon be putting in some unfinished oak cabinets. I have seen some of these cabinets done with a glaze.... light tone with a dark accent that goes in the crevices of the panels, beads etc. Many of them are done in maple. Will this process work on oak and if so what products do I need? Thanks in advance for any help.

Corey

Yes. I did a set in white oak.
Sprayed with white lacquer as a base.
Then used Sherwin Williams tint base, dark color, [have to thin with mineral spirits so it will come out of the spray gun].
Turn the fan control off. Turn the fluid control to zero. Open slightly, test on scrap, spray inside perimeters of you doors, panels, etc.
Then I finished up with two coats of clear lacquer.

If you want a different color than white, go to SW and they can tint, mix whatever color you need.

Oh. SW white lacquer needs to be thinned 50%. It's thick stuff, unlike the clear.

Thanks Steve for the info. Hmmm... no spray equipment and seems very involved. Have to think on this one! Anyway, in achieving this look without spray equipment.. maybe using darker gel stain over a lighter stain?Thanks again,

Corey

Thanks Steve for the info. Hmmm... no spray equipment and seems very involved. Have to think on this one! Anyway, in achieving this look without spray equipment.. maybe using darker gel stain over a lighter stain?Thanks again,

Corey

Yes. Gel would work.
On the darker, use a very dry foam brush. You don't want a lot of the dark stain on the brush. A little at a time till you get the results you want.

Thanks Steve. I will give that a try. Will do some messing around to see if I can get that look before I try it on the cabinets.

Corey