Thread: A bit OT Threads, as in Tpi, or W...?

A bit OT Threads, as in Tpi, or W...?

OK, my Nova DVR 3000 has a 1 1/4 8 Tpi thread on the spindle. I'd really like to buy a tap for making my own wooden faceplates etc.

I checked at one place and they want over $150 for one lousy tap

I found one on Yahoo auction, it is a 1 1/4" 7W, I fear it is not the same, but I wonder what is with that "W" designation?

Pics

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tap1.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	21.2 KB 
ID:	1259

Name:	tap2.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	28.2 KB 
ID:	1260

Name:	tap3.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	26.4 KB 
ID:	1261

I'm looking online and through a couple catalouges I have, but I've not yet found an answer.......... are 1 1/4" 8 Tpi and 1 1/4" 7W mean the same thing?

I very much doubt it, but who knows, and at $40 for the two taps, it seems like a real deal.

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Oh, never mind, I just found my answer, and it is a big fat NOPE, won't work.

The 1 1/4" W7 is for "Whitworth Coarse Thread" and the Tpi is indeed 7 Tpi, so I'm still looking, Oh well..... :
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Hi Stu, cheapest place I know is McMaster-Carr.

Search for tap, select hand taps, select the size form the drop down and they have both taper and bottoming [I mainly use bottoming in wood].

$60.

Mike
    Wenzloff & Sons Sawmakers

Steve Clardy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wenzloff View Post
    Hi Stu, cheapest place I know is McMaster-Carr.

Search for tap, select hand taps, select the size form the drop down and they have both taper and bottoming [I mainly use bottoming in wood].

$60.

Mike
    So is the $60. Stu's bill for your provided info.

Thanks Mike, I might get one shipped to my Parents house in Canada, and my daughter can pick it up for me when the visit over Chirstmas!

Cheers!
    William Arthur Ward

Stu, I should have one. You can have for free. Just P.M. me, where to send it to. I'm a Machinist by trade. Those come by pretty easy.

Well that sure is mighty nice of you Russ, PM sent, need anything from Japan?

Cheers!
    William Arthur Ward

Now, is that COOL or what????

Way to go, Russ! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

Stu,
    Sorry to say 1-1/4-8tpi is NOT a standard thread. 1-1/4-7tpi is I have a few of these. I looked up on Nova's website the 1-1/4 face plates are 8tpi. And old trick we used to use when we didn't have a tap. Is to grind a groove perpendicular to the thread on a bolt. This will provide a cutting edge. It should work in wood. I'm going to give it a try tomorrow at work. And get back to you, I'll look up are price on a new one anyway . Sorry again.

Russ

Russ, if it don't work it is no big deal, I found that Beal sells spindle taps for $27, they are designed for cutting threads in wood, this would do me fine.

Your generous offer is still appreciated, and you time to check it out as well. Thanks again!
    William Arthur Ward