A bit OT Threads, as in Tpi, or W...?

Stuart Ablett

OK, my Nova DVR 3000 has a 1 1/4 8 Tpi thread on the spindle. I'd really like to buy a tap for making my own wooden faceplates etc.

I checked at one place and they want over $150 for one lousy tap :eek:

I found one on Yahoo auction, it is a 1 1/4" 7W, I fear it is not the same, but I wonder what is with that "W" designation?

Pics

tap1.jpg

tap2.jpg

tap3.jpg

I'm looking online and through a couple catalouges I have, but I've not yet found an answer.......... are 1 1/4" 8 Tpi and 1 1/4" 7W mean the same thing?

I very much doubt it, but who knows, and at $40 for the two taps, it seems like a real deal.

Cheers!

Oh, never mind, I just found my answer, and it is a big fat NOPE, won't work.

The 1 1/4" W7 is for "Whitworth Coarse Thread" and the Tpi is indeed 7 Tpi, so I'm still looking, Oh well..... ::)

Hi Stu, cheapest place I know is McMaster-Carr.

Search for tap, select hand taps, select the size form the drop down and they have both taper and bottoming [I mainly use bottoming in wood].

$60.

Mike

So is the $60. Stu's bill for your provided info.:eek: :huh: :rofl: :thumb:

Thanks Mike, I might get one shipped to my Parents house in Canada, and my daughter can pick it up for me when the visit over Chirstmas!

Cheers!

Stu,
Sorry to say 1-1/4-8tpi is NOT a standard thread. 1-1/4-7tpi is I have a few of these. I looked up on Nova's website the 1-1/4 face plates are 8tpi. And old trick we used to use when we didn't have a tap. Is to grind a groove perpendicular to the thread on a bolt. This will provide a cutting edge. It should work in wood. I'm going to give it a try tomorrow at work. And get back to you, I'll look up are price on a new one anyway . Sorry again.:(

Russ

Russ, if it don't work it is no big deal, I found that Beal sells spindle taps for $27, they are designed for cutting threads in wood, this would do me fine.

Your generous offer is still appreciated, and you time to check it out as well. Thanks again! :thumb: