Power Sanding Alternatives

Jay Lock

Hello Kerry,
Regarding the clone that you saw, did you notice if the pad spins with the rotation of the bowl like the Sorby does? Thanks

Yes, it's definitely a "spinner". :thumb:

(Funny that they don't mention that anywhere in the catalog description. Maybe they figure that everybody intutively "knows" that?)

Last edited:
I have the Monster Tools version of the "sandpaper on a stick". I use it for things that I can't get to with my 2" Grex pneumatic ROS. The Monster Bowl Sander (as it's called) doesn't have the articulating head that some of the others do, but it's made of a beefy chunk of steel, with a comfortable handle.

Here's a link...it's a little ways down the page:

http://www.monster-wood-tool.com/wst_page7.php

I think power sanding is a better alternative when you can do it, but the sandpaper on a stick is my second choice.

I know you said you didn't want to buy another drill, but these close quarters drills from harbor freight work great for sanding and are very inexpensive.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=92956

Use this with one of the hook and loop sanding setups from craftsupplies or packard and it makes for a pretty inexpensive power sanding setup. When I bought mine they were on sale for $14 so I bought two because I thought they probably wouldn't last very long. But that was a year ago and the first is still going strong and the other is still new in the box.

Last edited:
Curt

You're the man! That is a great price, even at $20 -- of course I drove right by a harbor freight today.

Jay

Jay I got a C-man 90* angle drill with the hook and loop sanding outfit. They work pretty good. I will probably do like Curt did the next time but of course the C-man has been going now for 2 yrs.

Well one of you pick me one up and send it over here, I cannot find them here, except for the ones from Makita etc, and then they say it will take two months to order one (Made in Japan? :dunno: ) and they cost near $300 :eek:

Cheers!

Stu, by the time you figure shipping into the equation, you might want to consider this, if you've got a halfway decent compressor. No swirl marks. It's a beautiful thing.

If you're really serious about the HF drill, drop me a PM.

I do not think my compressor would keep up, it is rated at 100 litres of air a minute or about 3.5 cubic feet per minute, that Grex sander say average is 8 cfm. :(

PM sent.......

Hi Jay, the Sorby angle sander works well, an American penfriend of me use this sander, and he's happy with this tool.
I'm doing sanding simply by hand, or with sandpaper on a stick.

I do not think my compressor would keep up, it is rated at 100 litres of air a minute or about 3.5 cubic feet per minute, that Grex sander say average is 8 cfm. :(

PM sent.......
Mine doesn't necessarily keep up, but it'll go for a good little while before I have to stop and let it catch its breath. (Actually, to let it cool off.) I don't know the CFM rating of mine, but it's an 11 gallon 3.5 HP (yeah, right :rolleyes:) model with a rated 50% duty cycle. It runs continuously when I'm sanding with the Grex, but the sander maintains a steady speed after a slight initial slowdown. I intend to run the compressor until it bursts into a ball of molten aluminum and plastic. :laugh2: Hopefully by then I'll have 220V in the shop and I can get a better compressor.

PM answered...

stu, you might want to start lookin` for a "real" compressor.....once you get one you`ll wonder how you ever got by without it;)

Well Tod, this one will do for now, "Real Compressors" cost REAL money here, I know they do there too, but the scale.....OUCH :doh:

How many HP do you think would be good?

5.0 Hp $4000
7.5 Hp $5000
10 Hp $6000
15 Hp $7500

And those are good prices, bought new but at about a 40% discount off the Makers suggested price.

These are Top drawer units for sure, like these......

bebicon10hp.jpg bebicon15hp.jpg

Those are 10Hp and 15Hp respectively

What do you suggest as a "Real" compressor?

Cheers!

Tod

I was wondering when the "real compressor" line was going to rise to the surface! Marty showed me his air driven ROS during our visit (now I wonder who put him up to that? :D)

It was very cool.

But space constraints in the garage/shop limit me to a little pancake number right now, guess I'll have to stick to electric driven stuff.

Jay

Oh NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

If Stu can squeeze one into the dungeon we're all in trouble :rofl:

What do you suggest as a "Real" compressor?

Cheers!

those prices are insane stu! :eek:
in order to run any air tool that uses a continuous supply of air such as a sander or grinder you`ll need to look for a unit capable of 11+cfm with a 100% duty cycle..
larger storage tanks than a pump was designed to fill will only cause premature pump failure...but they will let you run a tool a bit longer before waiting for pressure to rebuild...not a fair exchange in my eyes.
can`t you find used compressors over there? they`re much easier to rebuild than a motorcycle;)

Well, the plan (yes, sometimes I have a plan), was to get by on this one, I bought it a few years ago, Jan 1st, 2005.........

comp6.jpg

I mean it works, but I also know it is not a "Real" compressor, but a lot better than the little oil-less hot dog one I was using.

Jay, if I got a "Real" compressor, it would NOT go in the Dungeon, it would go in the area directly above the Dungeon, in the parking area. We recently sold out trailer, and the area we parked that, I want to close in to use as storage of a sort, the Real Compressor would go there, and have it's own sound and vibration isolation box. I've got a plan to have space there for a nice big endmill as well :rolleyes:

Sure, an air powered sander would be nice, but for now, like you, I'll stick to the electric one.

Cheers!