TV stand - Few more tweaks

Jeff Horton

While my sketch is just a tad off, I like this design. It has the style we want. It's not so BIG and overpowering. It has drawers for storing the DVD's and CD's in. Extra storage in the ends for whatever???

I have some black cherry,the non fruit bearing cherry to make it from.

Hardware WILL NOT be what is shown. I just found that it works for show and tell. But I want more A&C looking hardware to match everything else in the house.

TV_stand.jpg TV_stand2.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good, Jeff.

Lee Valley has some nice A+C hardware, you might take a peek there.

Are you leaving the center section without a back? I know a fellow here in London who made a TV stand somewhat of a size like yours, and he put a back on the middle -- but he hinged it! So he could easily access cables and so on.

Hang on, I'll dig up the link. Here it is - he's got a lot of photos, don't miss the scroll bar beside the thumbnails.

Be careful with sizing the drawers. Years ago I built a stereo cabinet with drawers for CDs. I forget what went wrong, but I messed up on the drawer height. I had to put the drawer bottoms in rabbets rather than dados, in order to allow the drawer to be barely deep enough to hold CD's (i'm talking maybe 2mm clearance at top!). They've held up well, but still, I felt dumb.

...art

ps: did you consider making the corbels taller? I mean have them extend lower down the sides. Maybe with a slightly gentler curve at the corner as well ?

Last edited:
Lee Valley has some nice A+C hardware, you might take a peek there.

I have looked a theirs and some others. I have a catalog and I can't remember who but they have great prices on hardware. And I still need the hardware for the cabinets I made for the Laundry and Dining Room. I figure one more piece and I can buy a case of hardware and get a price break. :thumb: :rofl:

Are you leaving the center section without a back? I know a fellow here in London who made a TV stand somewhat of a size like yours, and he put a back on the middle -- but he hinged it! So he could easily access cables and so on.

No, I just didn't draw one. It makes building the model easier when I can spin it around and edit from that side. I have looked at it so long I hadn't even noticed I left it off. I had to look to make sure I did put the rabbit in for the back. So it will have one when I build it.

Be careful with sizing the drawers.

Yea, good point. I need to go measure a DVD and see what kind of space I need. I should have sized the drawers first and then built the cabinet around it. Of course that nice thing is this design is flexible. A little taller or shorter is no biggie.

ps: did you consider making the corbels taller? I mean have them extend lower down the sides. Maybe with a slightly gentler curve at the corner as well ?

I won't necessarily follow this drawing exactly. This is one of those details I will work out on the piece. I don't think I want to go any longer, but once I see it on the cabinet it may look totally different. I will probably copy the ones on the Laundry cabinet.

Hi Jeff, :wave:
It is a good looking piece. A 7" drawer front will work for dvd's and vhs.
Hopefully you won't mind if I suggest several things. If so delete the following.........since you are lining up the center rail of the door with the shelf, consider making that shelf edge the same thickness, then secondly, consider adding a bottom rail to match the doors, on the end panels, spaced exactly as your door. Nice project, good luck!
Shaz

Last edited:
Shaz, how about I delete half of what you suggested? ;)

since you are lining up the center rail of the door with the shelf, consider making that shelf edge the same width,

I am going to try that but I don't think I am going to like it. I see what your seeing though (good eye btw) so I may try raising that center rail up some. I had it higher but I looked to much like a cross. I also tried a door with the center rail raised up and no top stile. We have that style doors in the house and I have used that on the some other projects. But I didn't like it that much on here. Thats the beauty of SketchUp! I can draw three of four doors on different levels and look at them.

... then secondly,consider adding a bottom rail to match the doors,on the end panels, spaced exactly as your door. Nice project, good luck!

I love that idea. Now that I look at it I wonder how I missed that?

I am making the stiles inside the panel thinner than the outside frame so there is 1/8 offset, just for some more detail. With your suggestion I am thinking that I might want to to make the base stand a little proud too. Maybe an 1/8 of inch all around and then just break the sharp corner. But then again I may not like that either. :dunno:

Thanks for the suggestion. As I am sure you know, it is the small details that make the difference between good and great designs.

I might want to to make the base stand a little proud too. Maybe an 1/8 of inch all around and then just break the sharp corner. But then again I may not like that either. :dunno:

it is the small details that make the difference between good and great designs.
I do believe you are going to be very pleased with this project as you push on. The base standing proud is an idea I have had the occasion to use. I like the look. There is always thought behind it and that approach has its purpose, either "to stand a bit proud, saying I am big enough to support what ever goes on top of me" without being too over bearing, or for the aesthetics of being just a bit larger to accept a piece pf trim. Either way it helps create a change of elevation. :type:

Very close now

I think I have this very close to what I want. It should be to scale and I put a lot of detail into the model this time. I am working on building a couple of new computers so I am going to have a much faster one in the shop to where I can run SketchUp. So I can remove layers and see what I had in mind when I designed it. Not confident enough to trust a cut list yet. Besides I don't think I could work that way.

Here is the design. Changed the base from the arches to the base I have used on all the laundry room furniture.
Added the brackets on the ends.
Tweaked the drawer sizes to make sure the DVD's would fit.
Few other minor details that wont show on here I don't think.

tv3.jpg

I tried to attach the skp file but it's to large.

I need to draw some hardware. I can't find anything appropriate for this in the warehouse.

Jeff, looks better.

one question - Are you going to see end grain from the top/bottom horizontal pieces on the sides? Looks like that is visible at the front. Or is that an optical illusion, and really a piece from the front?

one idea - what if you took that front bottom trim, and use the same pattern - scaled down of course -- and put it above the top shelf to tie the two sides together.

jeff, if you can't do what shaz said about making the shelf facing the same thickness, maybe you can make sure the top of the shelf, is in line with the top of the middle rail on the door, that way you still have that visual affect that they are equal. they may be even already but it's hard to tell.

looks great as is though.

chris