Carcas saw . . .

steve mackay

I'm familiar with the term carcas just enough to throw it around in general and I think Mr. Wenzloff's saw in LV is too cool for school BUT . . . what does the design of the saw do that makes it a " Carcas Saw " ? Just feel the need to learn something tonight !

Dunno for sure myself, however, borrowed from the Lie Nielsen site;

Carcass Saw
The Carcass Saw is used for precise cuts across the grain, cutting tenon shoulders, and defining the edges of a dado. It has 14 points per inch, filed crosscut, for cutting quickly, yet accurately and smoothly. Blade is .020" thick, with a .003" set. Overall length, including handle, is 16", with an overall height of 4-7/8". Usable blade dimensions are 11" long by 2¼" deep. An ideal complement to the Dovetail Saw.

Oops, WAY sorry ! I guess what I'm looking at is . . .

:doh:His " Half-back " saw. Its the one with the short spine and rounded nose.
See ? Mighty confusing !

This article has a lot of good information, but unfortunately it doesn't have the answer:

http://www.vintagesaws.com/library/ftj/fall97/fall97.html

Then I found this, deep in the text of this page:

Carcass saws are large dovetail saws. They cut dovetails in the corners of a carcass. The carcass is bigger for thicker stock, and slightly rougher work (you usually cover these dovetails with moldings).

(I always wondered what carcass they were talking about, too.)

OK, learned more than I barganed for ! . . .

I stmbled on this one but its excellent ! " Norse Woodsmith ". VERY good ! Also, hes got a sense of humor like Patrick's B & G. Well worth checking out !