Incra compatible router bit set questions...

Jim O'Dell

I've searched here and the Creek and have gotten some information. I see by searching the net that there are 6 piece sets from Amana and Whiteside, and 8 piece sets from Infinity, Freud, and CMT. The difference is that the 6 piece set doesn't have the 2 smallest dovetail bits (1/4 and 3/8). Are these used often?, or do they collect dust? I will primarily be using for drawer boxes at first, but could decide to do some jewelry boxes later on.
It may not make much difference, as Amana and Whiteside are the only 2 major players with 6 piece sets, and I can't for the life of me get a price on the Amana.
I'd say my front runners are the Infinity 8 pc. at 100.00 direct purchase from Infinity, and the Whiteside 6 pc. at 79.20 after SMC discount from Holbren, with the Freud set close behind. The 8 bit set is about 70 cents cheaper per bit...not a big deal either way. Anyone have a preference, or another brand I should look at? Any one use severa brands and like one better? If so, for what reason? TIA Jim.

Jim,

Interesting timing for your question, since this just showed up in the mail to me yesterday:

DSCN7181.jpg .......... DSCN7182.jpg

There's a total of thirty router bits there. (One is backordered and will be shipped next week.) The total bill for ALL those bits was just under $200!

Might I suggest that you get the list of the bits in those sets and cruise over to Woodline.com and price them out. I suspect you'll save a few bucks!

By the way, those bits are all straight and dovetail bits, many of which I suspect would be in your 'sets'. Also note that the four clear boxes have the 3/8" DT bits in them. I use them A LOT! Rabbetted half blind dovetails in thin'ish drawer sides call for smaller bits. ;)

I know there are some that would say that Whiteside, Freud, etc., are better quality bits. Well, all I can say is that to me router bits are 'consumables'. I'll probably be buying that same colection again in a few months, once I wear out or break these. To me, it doesn't make sense to spend the extra money on something that I'll be going through so quickly. The quality of the Woodline bits is surprisingly good, given the sharp discounts they offer!

Just my .02
- Marty -

Thanks for the idea, Marty. I went and looked. Very good prices. But they only have 2 of the possible 6 styles of the dovetail bits I will need. I'm sure the two straight bits are available, though I didn't look for them. They should be common items though. I will keep them in mind for other bits I will need in the future! Jim.

You should check these guys out too... some very nice tooling made in Florida. You don't hear about Jesada very often, but those in the know.... Just get one of their bits, look at the finish on the grind, and you will know why. I used to think like Marty, and for alot of router bits it is sound thinking for certain cutters, but if you gotta buy three times to get the same life and not the same quality... Just something to think about:
http://allita.net/Projects/omnicat5/index.php?cat_id=0