end table

Very good Tod, thanks for posting it, as someone else mentioned I like the way it conveys the stability feeling. Simple and effective.

Just a question, the drawer bottom is masive ( I don't know if the spelling is right) mahogany as well or is it plywood with veneer?

Thanks again

Very Nice, Tod. I liked the same things the others said, but I especially liked the way you made the back of the drawer, (with the drawer bottom in a dado, instead of being tacked to the back of the drawer).:thumb:

I see a lot of drawers made today using the method in parenthesis above, but when I was a kid, we had some furniture that had drawers like that, and of course my Mom had every drawer in the house overstuffed with things and eventually the bottoms would sag, especially at the back and small things would go out the gap and fall down inside the cabinet and I hated that. Because of that I have NEVER made a drawer like that, (and most likely never will).

That finish sure looks nice. "I like Lacquer", never really cared much for Varnish, and HATE Polyurethane. One of these days I'm going to get set up and try some PreCat.

the drawer bottom is solid wood and i allowed 1/2" for expansion at the rear by cutting the dado almost through the rear of the drawer. if i`d used a more mobile wood such as oak i don`t think i could have gotton away with that trick:eek: and would have had to use the tack or screw method to allow for movement.
thanks again! tod

Good looker Tod. As someone stated, it looks anchored - almost like it has roots and grew there. It is amazing what a little detail like that can do for a piece.

Thanks for posting - it was great to see!

Wes

so the expansion and contraction would hopefully flex the longer back rail instead of fighting the shorter-n-stiffer side rails....plus the forces of the drawer operating will stress the side rails enough without adding to the equation.....(plus that`s the sized scrap i grabbed;))

Everything about it strikes me as well proportioned, graceful, masterfully executed and finished. I never even would have thought about 90 degreeing the woods to compensate for expansion/contraction, drawer stresses, etc. If I ever do something like that, I'll remember this as a learning experience. All around, it's a :thumb: