Seemed like a good idea at the time, take 2

Cool idea Lee, and nicely executed. You mentioned rings...did you glue up individual rings or was it solid in the center when you started? (Gluing up half-circles instead of half-rings?)

Cool idea Lee, and nicely executed. You mentioned rings...did you glue up individual rings or was it solid in the center when you started? (Gluing up half-circles instead of half-rings?)
One big glue-up of 40 half-circles, each 1/2" wide and ~1/8" thick, plus solid 1/4" disks for the rim and the base. So it started out looking "solid" when I started but it was empty in the middle. Here's the blank before I started turning it:
Bowl42 blank.JPG
I went with this shape because it was the easiest to lay out and cut. (I was making this process up as I went along.) Doesn't take much wood: I started with 6"x12"x1/8" stock, only used about 1-1/2 pieces each of maple and walnut for the main "body".

Ring a ding ding! :clap:

Lee, that is just so cool!

We could use that one pick as a view of the slippery slope that awaits all who get into turning :rofl:

VERY neat!

Ya know, with that laser-guided scrollsaw of yours you could make other shapes in a similar pattern...hexagons, triangles, etc. Of course then you'd have to blend the sides with a sander instead of a lathe, but you could get some interesting pieces. (I'm sure you're not lacking for ideas to do with the laser, though.) ;)