We lost another one...

Kind of a sad day for us here. My wife's cousin went out fishing yesterday morning...and like so many boats here in Maine, it never returned to port. The lobster boat sank pretty quickly, and while one guy managed to get into a skiff and be rescued, my wife's cousin died from exposer and hyperthermia.

Every year we lost 6-7 boats a year to the sea so this is not anything new to us, but it still gets to you. Kind of sad. So for those of you that are religious, keep this family in mind while praying. The family got hit hard this week. They just got done laying another cousin to rest on Saturday. He died in Iraq.

No matter what your beliefs are, please keep the poor fisherman in mind when you buy your seafood at the store. It is a hard, and often times, sad way of life. We figured it out that we have 7 relatives working out on the water this winter. Winter fishing is the worst. So to everyone that goes down to the sea in ships...God Bless.

fisherman-memorial-600x360.jpg

Last edited:
Travis, I grew up in a area of Commercial fisherman on the Great Lakes, every once in a while we'd lose one. I personally knew two who lost their life while fishing on the boats. I can not say I know how you are feeling because I've never lost a relative that way....I did lose a couple of good friends, it is certainly a sad time for you and your family. I have a strong belief in God and I will make sure that I say a prayer for your relative and for your family.

Travis,
Living by the ocean you become very aware of the dangers that fisherman face everyday. We all get chills when those Coast Guard helos take flight.

You and your family are in our prayers...

I'll just echo what Frank said. Sorry to see the sad news, and all my best wishes to you and the rest of the family.

My condolences and thoughts and prayers to you and your family Travis! You only have to experience the Atlantic's winter seas once to make an everlasting impression!

Travis

I've been off the Maine coast in the fog in the summer and was "very alert". I can't imagine doing it in the cold of winter. And doing it every day. Condolences to you and your family.

Jay

I do not know if I can state it any better than was done above. I dread the loss of any human life that is done for the ease of life for others. My condolences to the family and I will remember them in my devotional today.

Travis

I've been off the Maine coast in the fog in the summer and was "very alert". I can't imagine doing it in the cold of winter. And doing it every day. Condolences to you and your family.

Jay

Jay, did the view look kind of like this picture? Just for the record there is a boat in this picture, and you can see it if you really look. The only reason I knew it was there was because we were picking it up on radar.

As for everyone else, thank you for your kind words.

Boat_In_Fog-600x450.jpg

Travis,

I lost my two good friends (one was my partner on the fire rig for six years) to the Gulf of Mexico in 2001, I understand what you are feeling. Truly a bad time for you, my prayers are with you and family.

Travis

Yes, that is what it looked like! Radar is a good thing! I don't know how you do it day in day out, I HATE Fog.

Again, all the best to you and your family