Hinge question

Gene Miller

My doors measure 36 x 12 I need to know if I use 2 or 3 hinges. also, how far from the top and bottom should the be mounted. Is there a general rule of thumb to follow.

thanks,

while i'm asking , i see how they mount to the door but i don't see how you get them to mount to the frame in the correct spot. do i need to make a jig of sum sort. thanks.

This is not me talking, just sharing:

How Many Hinges Per Door?
Hinge_Load-1.jpg
The number of hinges you require will be contingent upon the height and weight of your doors. Use this chart to determine how many hinges you will need. For instance, a 43" high door weighing 14 lbs would require 3 hinges.

Jigs are commonly used by folks who do this alot. Measurements are included with most hinges that give the offset between the hinge center and other mounting holes. I've only done a few sets of cabinets (no jigs) but it worked well right from the start. There is also a fair amount of adjustment built into some hinges and I would recommend going with those. Having said that, some are so adjustable they are almost complex. Ones with decent height and inset depth have served me well.

gene, there are lots of plate/hinge combinations.....the common sense approach is to mount the actual hinge you have to a piece of scrap the same thickness as your door and mount the plate to a piece of scrap the same width as your frame member and check operation before even thinking about poking holes in your work....once you`re sure about offsets and backsets then put blue tape on the door and carcase and double-n-tripple check your layout...(voice of experience here:eek:)

gene, like tod said blum has an incredible number of combos when you put the hinges and plates together. can you be a little more specific.

your hinge should have an opening angle (90, 120, 170)

it should be either a straight arm, half cranked, and one other that slips my mind at the moment

then the plate will be dimensioned in mm for it's thickness.

the last 2 combos help determine the offset of the door over the face frame.

are you doing overlay or inset.

if you are using overlay hinges and plates, the plates have small ears on them that are meant to catch the face frame and place the hinge correctly.

i am thinking you have inset because some of the plates that you can use for inset don't have those indexing "ears" on them

i said all that, but still need details to really help. you can also check out blum's website.

www.blum.com

by the way i set my hinges 3" in from top and bottom, to center of the cup

chris

Gene everybody is right on the mark with suggestions. It can be a bit confusing if you are not sure of your combinations. One more thing to pay attention to is the tab measurement for your particular hinge. That is the distance from the edge of the door to the edge of your 35MM cup for your hinge. If it is off, you will have problems.

Blum gives VERY specific mounting instructions for all of their hinges. On the door side, as Chris said, the cup hole distance from edge is critical. Practice on scrap!!!!

I have not seen any info as to best distance from top/bottom. You might have to adjust depending on what's inside the cabinet (like pull out drawers). Let's say you were going with face frame cabinets, 1/2" overlay doors. If the cup centers are 5" from the edge of the door, the cabinet mounting plate part center would be 4.5" from the frame top/bottom. Measure the mounting plate, center to screw holes and add/subtract from the 4.5" distance. This can be transfered to a piece of scrap and you've got yourself a "Door mounting Jig".

It's really a lot easier to do than explain. And as all of the other posters have said, "Practice on SCRAP" :)