This weeks pieces.

Chas Jones

__________How long does your brand take to dry?
__________Do you ever get anything other than a silky lustre finish?

_________ _______ click on image for larger view
_______Sweet Chestnut & Pau Rosa (210mm)

I am having more success with the melamine finish these days and when it goes right ending up with a depth of gloss that looks more like a layer of glass.
Not easy though, its a devil of a product to get right across a large area without runs or build up streaks

Very nice turnings. As to the tung oil question: First, be sure you are using pure tung oil. Products labeled 'tung oil finish' or 'improved' ect. probably have other additives that will change how you use it. For gunstocks, I apply by hand. The warmth of the hand seems to help penetration. Overnight is (should be) enough for setting. If the finish is more glossy than you like just rub with 0000 steel wool. It is a long lasting, moisture resistant finish. It will darken your wood.

... As to the tung oil question: First, be sure you are using pure tung oil. Products labeled 'tung oil finish' or 'improved' ect. probably have other additives that will change how you use it. For gunstocks, I apply by hand. The warmth of the hand seems to help penetration. Overnight is (should be) enough for setting. If the finish is more glossy than you like just rub with 0000 steel wool. It is a long lasting, moisture resistant finish. It will darken your wood.

Thank you for that Frank, I was expecting it to dry within 24 hrs and possibly leave a skin on the surface, however the brand I have at the moment is taking 4-5 days to dry, even then it still has enough surface volatiles to leave a trace on the hands when handled.

Guess I need to find out exactly how it's formulated and try for some pure oil.

It is the moisture resistance that interested me.

Nice stuff, Chas. I was checking out your gallery a bit, too. Excellent portfolio. I like to keep things as simple as possible in my shop, and for small finish jobs, anything I'm not spraying, I really like Minwax's Wipe on Poly. No guess work, build as many coats as you want then sand to any luster desired. I only use high gloss finishes, since you can always take gloss down. It seems to have a much longer shelf life than tung oil, or any other special mixes I have tried over the years, and I never have to stir or shake.

Sorry to be lake chiming in, Chas. Nice work...I especially like the burl piece.

I've not used pure tung oil, so I can't offer any experience on it. I have used a tung oil blend (wipe-on varnish, sold as "Tung Oil Finish") and had good results after building up a few coats. It's my understanding that the blends do dry/cure faster than the pure tung oil. Regardless, there are a lot of people who really like the pure tung oil and get great results with it (like Frank).

My list of preferred finishes is similar to Bernie's, except I've not tried any of the General finishes on roundwork yet. (I've used it on flat stuff, though.) Lately, I'm becoming more and more fond of spray-can lacquer over a coat of Minwax Antique Oil or Formby's Tung Oil Finish, since I seem to have the most success getting an even sheen with it. Like Sam, I tend to use the high-gloss stuff, then use abrasives as necessary to reduce the shine as needed. I have done a few pieces that had lots of holes or voids on which I used semi-gloss spray, since I wouldn't be able to otherwise dull the shine in all the voids.

Chas, those are really nice, love the burl piece too!

Can't help you with the finish, all I use is a sanding sealer, and spray can lacquer.

Cheers!

Thanks for the replies on finishing and kind comments folks, sorry for the delay responding, been away a couple of days and have just had to unload the wood from the boot (trunk to you) before the suspension took a permanent set.