turning chisel storage idea

I'm planning to make a chisel rack for wall mounting this weekend. I was originally thinking of a vertical, steel down holder with a wood ledge underneath the steel in case of ferrule failure with the tools being supported by the top "shelf" with keyholes for easy removal of tools, but am now wondering if horizontal "wine rack" style storage might not be better.

If anyone is around (i.e. not at the NC symposium) could I get some pros and cons of each design?

Thanks!

Not exactly - I'm thinking more of a rack that will be wall mounted rather than a lazy Susan on the table. Poor Sue, she's always ready for you, willing to move in any direction you need and we still call her idle. :rofl:

Mark I made on that was quick and works pretty slick. So far so good. Might give you some idea's.

Attachments

• Nova DVR XP 11.jpg
    Nova DVR XP 11.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 42
  • Nova DVR XP 8.jpg
    Nova DVR XP 8.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 51
Bernie... that's really a neat idea. Thanks for sharing!

I'll have to keep that in mind when we put a lathe in the shop... :thumb:
(if i keep dropping enough hints perhaps we'll get one.... :) )

Thanks for sharing!!

Denise

Honestly... we don't have room for a lathe.... :rofl::rofl:

All kidding aside... we will have one ONE day.

It's all in the timing... either eBay or Craigs list will have one come across that we just can't turn down... :)

Denise

That is really neat Bernie, but don't them tubes fill up with chips?

Denise, just get a mini lathe to start, there is a LOT of stuff you can do on one. :wave:

I got the idea from somebodies web site my set up is similar to Bernie's.
I got some PVC & cut the top in a 45º then got some 3/8'' dowels drilled holes near the bottom ran the dowels through all the holes then screwed them at a couple of points at the top of the PVC to a board then mounted the board to the wall. The shavings fall through the bottom & I rather have my gouges pointed up as you can see I don't have much space & this way if any missile's come off my lathe they won't smack against the steel so no possibility to damage them & they won't fall out so they'll never hit the concrete floor.

Click thunbnails for a full size pic.

Chuck

This is what I ended up doing:

lathe.chisel.storage.JPG

I ripped the 45 degree groove in some 2 by 4 offcuts with my RAS, using the push device seen on the RAS table. I then crosscut the pieces into 2" wide sections. A frame from plywood offcuts (actually previously enjoyed plywood offcuts from my folks for free :thumb: ) holds the chisel holders. The offcut sort of visible on the RAS was cut off using a holder stick (a little of the special red stain on a project is ok, but adding a finger to a project doesn't make the project any better :eek: ).

I was originally going to place one tool per ledge, but noted that I was going to run out of room and I don't even have a bowl gouge or a hollower tool yet. :eek: So I figured that two or three tools can share a ledge. Hopefully if I leave them alone long enough they'll sprout more tools. :huh:

The whole assembly is held with a couple pegboard hooks under the topmost horizontal frame member. I noticed that the upper middle horizontal frame member overlapped one of the pieces of wood that I screwed the pegboard to, so I threw a couple screws in just for good measure.

I just remembered having taken a pertinent picture back in June, down at Craft Supplies in Provo. This was taken in their classroom building, in one of the "student bays".

This is the view from the lathe. In other words, as you face the lathe this cabinet would be behind you. The small rack on the right usually holds a faceplate, a knockout bar, maybe a wrench, etc. If I could design my own space (hey ... I guess I can!) I would put the cabinet on the wall next to the lathe instead. But the classroom building has to accommodate a certain number of side-by-side bays, and that would make them too wide, I guess.

A540_0222_CraftSupplies_Classroom_TurningToolCabinet.jpg

I can' believe it's already been 4 years since I took the Basic class down there. I have next-to-nothing to show for those years.... :doh:

Kerry:

That is much nicer looking than the thing I made.

I have also made (npatm) a little holder dealie out of some 2 by offcut that I hung on the pegboard next to the chisel rack to hold a drill chuck and the accessories that came with the lathe (live center, drive center, drive center eject tool, wrench, etc.) except for the face plate which lives in the chuck case now hanging below the chisel rack when not in use.