A Sign from my Buddy

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
I'm way late in posting this...I've been too busy to get a picture of it to display.

A while back Pete Simmons posted pics here of a sign he made with his laser, to display at his craft show sales table. I complimented him on it, we sent some e-mail back and forth on it, and before too long, this showed up at my doorstep:

View attachment 13179

This sign is laser engraved on maple, with inlaid rings of what I assume is walnut. I put a quick coat of Antique Oil on it, followed by a few coats of satin spray polyurathane. I'm still going to make a frame for it, then use magnets to mount it either on the edge of one of my display tables, or to the outside front of my booth above the entrance.

Pete and I have collaborated on several projects, and he keeps doing stuff like this to surprise me. There's no way I'll ever catch up to him on all the favors I owe. :D

Many thanks, Pete! :wave:

Got yer ladder right here, buddy!

timber-step-ladder-ts.jpg

:rofl:

you guys are bad!

Vaughn, that looks great!

I had to read it again, as I thought it said "Fine Tuned Art" at first, which would also be neat, but yeah, fine Turned suits you better!

Thanks

Just got a nice package of thin flat wood from Vaughn.

Thank You very much. It will work fine for laser cutting.

It sure is nice to get surprise packages in the mail and it isn't even Christmas.

Is this place great or what!

Vaughn sez he is putting a pretty frame around the sign and will post some pictures when finished.

Along these same lines I have been invited as a vendor to a very nice local country club for a "Ladies Night Out" function. I will have my version of these signs out. I will let you know how my sales go when it is over.

Tis a very nice sign but in my opinion it is not woodworking but Graphic Arts. The skill is in setting up the equipment and such, but it is not a crafted skill nor is it a talented art. A few years some of you would have Awed over a silkscreened sign of the same quality. No different here. Select and place the appropriate fonts, push a button and burn an image... Taa Daa, deed done did.

Not to say that such signs are not attractive and pleasing and they gather ones attention to the products at hand but to comment that they are crafted or some form of woodworking is a far stretch of the word.

These are my opinions and I am sure some will differ.

bill,
just because a fellow is using an electron burner instead of a fretsaw and a `puter instead of a pencil-n-t-square doesn`t make the work any less impressive to me......remember this is comming from a guy who cuts his inlays by hand and has for a couple of decades....i haven`t built a marquetry donkey yet but when i do, should folks think less of my work because i`ve "upgraded" tools? i still don`t know how to draw a square box on the `puter but i can draft complex gearing using a pencil-n-protractor...if i where to invest the time to learn to do drafting on the `puter would my work be any different than that i do with paper-n-pencil? how `bout the fellow who saws his veneers using a two-man saw and a pit......is his work superior to mine if i cut mine using a bandsaw-n-feeder?
to me the end result is what matters.....wood is a really forgiving medium, it doesn`t care how it`s shaped..it`s the person choosing the shape and texture that make a piece beautifull or ugly not the tools used.....
just my .02.....tod

Very nice sign Vaughn :)

I think it says "contemporary art" clean, simple, stylish as opposed to "arts and crafts" clunky, tacky, homemade...

I've seen and admired your turnings (and other things) and they will go nicely with the sign.

Cheers!