Aspen lumber

Al killian

Well today the local sawyer should up un cut some logs for me. He even stacked all for no extra charge.:thumb: What I tought was poplar is really aspen, which is related to poplar. Has any used it and or have pics of it finished? Some has spalting on the edge boards. I did get some really nice wide pine boards out of the larger logs. Pics later when I can borrow a camera.

Keep the tools sharp. It has a tendency to get the fuzzies. Any I've used or seen has usually been pretty non-descript with not much of any figure, but it makes for a nice light colored wood when finished.

Well today the local sawyer should up un cut some logs for me. He even stacked all for no extra charge.:thumb: What I tought was poplar is really aspen, which is related to poplar. Has any used it and or have pics of it finished? Some has spalting on the edge boards. I did get some really nice wide pine boards out of the larger logs. Pics later when I can borrow a camera.

I used it several years ago - in place of poplar - and in the end, I regretted it. The Aspen was so soft that fingernails easily dent it. I'd used it for a small, painted, cabinet, with two doors and a drawer. In less than six months, the areas under the drawer and door handles were all significantly gouged, just from fingernails grazing the surface.

It's okay to use for drawer sides - although I'd only use it with metal drawer glides, and not with wood-to-wood contact.

It'd probably make a fairly good carving wood, too - softer than Basswood.

As Doug said, it tends to 'fuzz' when you cut it. The sawdust is more like 'fluff' than dust. Sharp tools help minimize the fuzz.