I'm hurting..........

It was 1982 and I'd moved from Chicago to Lewiston, Idaho. One of the radiologists suggested we start running to get into shape...he for skiing..me for elk hunting and we did. One morning Lou slept in and left me standing at the dikes on the Snake River by myself. Along came a retired Marine Lt. Colonel and we ran together. Talking and panting while running he discovered my reason for running. The next fall, he invited me to attend a meeting of a local wildlife club. A few meetings later he told me another member was looking for someone to elk hunt with for 1 season to help share the costs of feeding his pack mules and He'd recommended the guy invite me before I ran an elk down and cut it's throat. And so my relationship with Larry began. We hunted elk together for 17 years until we both became too old and out of shape to continue. We were the only two in the camp of 6 hunters who could tie knots other than those used on shoe laces and the only two with experience of working horses and mules. Thus we did all the packing of elk out to camp. We hunted on foot and used horses and mules to pack the elk out. Larry's pretty wife volunteered to do duty as camp cook and took a week's vacation each fall to take care of us in camp. The meals she cooked made many other hunters jealous.

Today, his 73rd birthday, I took a card to him. It's the 5th time I've visited him this week. I don't know if the coma is natural or medically induced so that he may improve but I"m betting he doesn't leave ICU alive.....

Larry and I are about as different as two friends could be....politically and other ways too......he a Democrat ..me a Republican ...he a union die-hard and I'll never work for another union.....but we had some things in common. We loved braving the high country this time of year...pursuing elk .....helping our friends....packing their elk out for them........fishing the high mountain often wilderness lakes for trout in the summer......shooting craps with Mother Nature this time of year. Most hunters hunt the early part of the season. We chose to hunt the late part.....more snow...fewer hunters.....don't have to worry about meat spoilage and yet...there's been years when we drove the road out to the main road every hour on the hour all night long....to keep the snow drifts broke out so we could break camp and get out the next morning....big huge....generous man.......

I looked at his huge graying frame......a machine breathing for him...food being put into him via a tube.......

Pappy.....what I wouldn't give to walk that miner's trail down to the miner's cabin with you one more time!

I'm hurting....

Real sorry to hear about you friend, Ken. Sounds like his was a rich life...I hope he has a peaceful exit.

My friend...as one who has been left behind on this earth by sooooo many...all I can say is listen...to your heart. Your friend is still here in what YOU are...in what he's about to leave you with. Just read your words later...when you can...you'll see what I mean. Trust me mate...

So Sorry Ken,
Pain is a price we pay for loving.:(

Yet, the joy of having him in your life will eternally outweigh the sadness of his loss. My prayers for you and your loved ones.
Shaz

Ken, sounds like you had a special relationship that so many can not fathom. When you visit him in the hospital room, please be sure to talk to him. It doesn't really matter about what, but talk TO him. My mom was in an induced coma several years ago. I stayed at the hospital overnight to give dad a break. During the visitation times, I talked to her. No idea what I talked about, but hen they brought her out, she remembered everything I said to her. That is a cherished memory for me. Will your friend hear you? I don't know. I do know he won't if you don't talk to him! Tell him about special times!

Cherish your memories.

Thanks folks!

I've been truly blessed in my life with several close friends and a wonderful wife and family. I have little else I cherish....Just my family and friends. Everything else is immaterial IMHO.

Don't get me wrong....I enjoy my turning, my job, but ........somethings are important.....other things aren't important........Most aren't....JMHO

For a very very long time, there was no "Larry, the elk hunter" in this world, now, for a brief 73 years or so, Larry has lived and walked among us all. Ken from the sounds of it, your timing was just about perfect, to know this fine fellow for a so long, what a lucky man you have been.

Best thoughts and prayers going you and Larry's way!

ken those folk make us who we are,, yuou and i know exactly what i am sayin and others may to i think glen is on top of it too,, those deep canyons and the black forrests need to visited again, even if its just riding threw. and i fully agree witht he fella about talking it will benifit both of you, we are of the same cloth ken,,, i am wishun you the best.

Hi Ken,

I understand how you feel. When I lived in TN the first time in the mid 90's I met a fellow while fly fishing (Pat) who was retired and a regular at one of the access points to the river that was my home water. I noticed that he always fished alone and figured it was by choice but, one day I decided to shoulder up to him as best I could to learn from this fellow that seemed to be catching fish that I couldn't see. As it came out, Pat was a retired fire fighter from New Jersey who had become a TN transplant after retirement. We became fast friends and I found out that he fished by himself because he felt old (he was about 73 at the time) and didn't think the younger guys would want to hang with him. We fished together for a couple of years before I moved back to Louisiana for my last tour of "deep south" medical duty. After moving back to TN some 7 years ago I tried to look up Pat once again only to find that he had very recently passed away. Now, all I seem to think of was that I wasted 7 years that I could have spent with my friend. I had all the usual excuses, too busy, too much work, too many projects. It taugh me a valuable lesson. I won't let it happen again.

I wish your friend the best...

Ken, I read this post earlier today and had to walk away with tears in my eyes. I lost a dear, dear friend three years ago that sounds a lot like Larry. Hang in there, the pain doesn't go away completely but it does get easier with time.

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend Larry. I wish I could say something that would ease your pain. But at times like this words fail me. I wish you and Larry the best.

Wes

If we only all got to have a friend like him. I grieve with you buddy. I have not had the priveledge of having a close friend like that. But I know if I did, I would be like you are. Mourning the times past.

Hope he either gets back out of that bed or that hr goes quietly and peacefully.

Folks....thanks for your understanding.....

Larry passed away Monday morning.

Somehow it's easier knowing he isn't suffering anymore.