Sycamore and Cherry Box with dt's

I'm just about done with this box (sorry if you've already seen this :eek: ). The BLO dried and I sprayed it with lacquer on Monday. I also finished the dividers for my watch collection (the yellow faced one and the empty slot belong to my wife). I need to build a top tray yet for her earing's and misc. items. The bottom is lined with leather for a nice soft spot for the watches. Two of the watches are automatics and could use winders, but we wear our automatics more than anything else so I figured this would work fine. The wooden hinges are a little touch I added after deciding to do something different than the typical brass hinges. Overall, I'm very happy with how this little box turned out. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• Box-1.jpg
    Box-1.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 106
  • Box-2.jpg
    Box-2.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 98
  • Box-3.jpg
    Box-3.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 89
Hi Jason,
Glad to see you here. I like your stuff you make. Very nice. But it seems you have a little too much time on your hands :thumb: . I really like them and the wood chioces seem to work nicely.
Reg

...I got the idea for the box from an ad that I saw for Lie Nielsen and decided to practice my hand cut dt's.
From the looks of those pics, it doesn't seem like you need much more practice with your hand cut dovetails. Gorgeous work, Jason. I've missed seeing your stuff for quite a while. Thanks much for posting.

Simple and elegant Jason. The DT really look tops as do the wood hinges. If you don't mind what method did you use to pin the hinge together?

Jason, thanks so much for sharing this, what a great idea, and the results of you work are really something to be proud of! :thumb:

The hinges are WAY cool, did you use a wooden dowel or a steel pin for the hinge?

I was going to ask you what kind of router jig you used, but I figured I'd get stuff thown at me ;)

So.......... handcut dovetails, pins or tails first? :huh:

how do you find the BLO dries? I used it once on a few turnings and liked it, but off the lathe, I find that it takes weeks to dry, maybe the stuff I bought was old? :dunno:

Keep them coming, I very much enjoy this type of post!

Cheers!

Jason

Thanks for the post, awesome work. And a very interesting way to control the size of your watch collection, if you start to exceed the number of cubbyholes you're going to have to build another box!:D

Jay

People actually own more than one watch? :huh:

Hmmm...

ps: :clap: great looking piece. And like Stu said, can you give more info on how those hinges were built? A photo of the hinge with the lid open?

Thanks everyone for the kind words! Sorry for not responding sooner, I don't mean to be rude. I was put in charge of making a family video for my parents 40th wedding anniversary. It's been eating all my computer time the last couple of days... and nights... and mornings :eek:

The Hinge: I didn't want to buy a hinge, so while I was talking with my wife about what to do as she was putting things away in the deep freezer, I saw the freezer hinge and figured I could do something kind of like it in wood for the box.

I took stock and planed it to 5/8" thick x 3/4" wide and cut the gap on the table saw to make the ears and then cut the pieces to 1 1/2" long. I made the profile on the spindle sander. Next was to figure out how to make the male portion of the hinge. I took a piece of walnut stock and cut it just over 1/4". I took it to the pencil sharpener to get a point so that it would get started in my Lie-Nielsen dowel plate. I pounded it through about an inch and a quarter. I backed it out and trimmed and finished off the transition from square to round. I drilled two 1/4" holes in the lid and the dowel I made fit perfectly. With these in place, I could see where I needed to drill the holes for the hinge point. To help place the female portion, I held a piece of 1/4" plywood on the top and had the hinge "ears" touch the top of the plywood so that I would have a consistent look. I marked the spot that looked good for the copper tack and I was almost done. I didn't drill through both "ears." I figured that it might look nice to have a side with no hole. The nail is simply held in by pressure and is removable, making the top, for whatever reason, removable as well. I put a little dab of glue on the female portion and screwed it down. I also glued the male portion into the top. I think that about covers it. I had a lot of fun with this. I'm not a very creative person like this, so it was nice to solve this problem.

BLO: Stu, I put oil on all my pieces and then set them out in the sun for as many hours of sun as I can fit in. By day two the BLO is dry. I've sprayed on day two before with no problems.

Watches: What can I say, I like watches - especially the ones marked "Swiss Made." :thumb: My wife and I have a pair of Oris watches that we got for our 12th wedding anniversary. Nothing like a monster 44mm diver on the wrist. Sorry about that. This is a woodworking forum ;)

Rennie: That's just plain funny! :p I think I've seen that guy before. Never met him though :D

Pics: I hope these pics clarify a bit more how I made the hinges.

Thanks again.

Attachments

• Hinge-2.jpg
    Hinge-2.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 21
  • Hinge-3.jpg
    Hinge-3.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 22
  • Hinge-1.jpg
    Hinge-1.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Thanks Jason for the additional photos and info. I would say you are pretty quick study to whip out those hinges impromptu! Nice job.

Corey