Barkless Birch

Mark Cothren

This is a piece of Birch from Kentucky. It ended up 4-3/4" high on the ends and 11" x 9" wide. It is about 1/16" thick - kinda flexible and very lightweight. I also branded around the rim - inside and out. India ink was used on the outside.

BlackBirchNE01.jpg

BlackBirchNE02.jpg

BlackBirchNE03.jpg

Nice looking with the Black outside and contrasting inside but the knot just blew it for me. I don't like those features and feel that a similar piece without that kind of feature would be a better design. On the first picture I was (?) Hmmm, whats he doing? then the second Perked a goo deal of interest and thought that was neat and creative, but then the third blew out my candle and I relaxed back to a ho hum attitude.

IMHO

thanks for the post but stop with picture #2

Thanks Bill, but you'll have to talk to God about that knot... He's the one who put that in there...;) I actually didn't know it was there until I got into the wood, and I wasn't about to stop then because of a knot... it is what it is.

I thought I'd commented on this one already Mark, but it looks like I didn't. :doh: I really like this one. The burned edge looks like leather lacing. Awesome piece. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

i like it mark!
if we`re comparing folks flaws to trees....i suppose i`m a weather checked ol` piece of driftwood half submurged in the mire on a long forgotten shoreline.

ok, i'm new to turning but i like the knot since the alternative is no bowl from this piece of wood. but....would you fill the knot with sawdust and glue??? or is it better to leave the splits as is??? just asking.

the edge and dark outer finish is dynamite.

i like it mark!
if we`re comparing folks flaws to trees....i suppose i`m a weather checked ol` piece of driftwood half submurged in the mire on a long forgotten shoreline.

Tod, I've been on those lakes in the Ozarks, musta been you laying on the shore!:rofl:

Mark, that's a great looking bowl! The india ink really sets the birch off!:thumb: