Yet another mortising jig

Took the new mortising jig for a test run this afternoon and it seems to work. Still needs the sharp edges broken (DAMHIKT:rofl: ) and a couple coats of shellac and some wax on the moving parts.

Its made of baltic birch and hardwood scrap. One fence is fixed, the other moves and is fastened by bolts that go thru the bottom and has jig handles to tighten the fit. The holes in the moveable fence are for fasteners for the stops. The router is on its own sled with a fixed cleat and a moveable fastenable cleat to snug it up to the fences. I've attached my microfence positioner to the router sled.

It holds the workpiece tightly (which had been a problem with some other jigs I made) and the mortises seem good and square to the edge.

I copied most of it from a jig we use at Santa Fe Community College.

Attachments

• mounted (600 x 450).jpg
    mounted (600 x 450).jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 173
  • mortises (600 x 450).jpg
    mortises (600 x 450).jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 126
  • innards (600 x 450).jpg
    innards (600 x 450).jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 109
Hi Jesse,
I'de like to see some drawings of that that looks pretty nice. Is the setup time pretty short.
Reg

Hey Reg,
Sorry I don't have any drawings, but its pretty straightforward. Only critical thing is that the fixed fence needs to be dead square to the base. The router sled has to be cut out to fit the base of your router.

The set up isn't too bad. You have to put in some shims to get the workpiece near the top of the fences, set the moveable fence snug to the workpiece, set the depth of cut on the router and position the router to where the mortise will be cut, then set the stops. Good news is that you only have to do that once for all the mortises you will be cutting. All the settings hold from one piece to the next.