Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spreading the Word About FamilyWoodworking.org

Spreading the Word About FamilyWoodworking.org

Hi All -

Although this has been mentioned and discussed in the Members Only forum, I wanted to also post this in a forum that Guests can see, too.

As a new forum, we like having new members and we encourage you to spread the word about FamilyWoodworking.org to your friends and family. We welcome anyone as long as they agree to follow the simple Forum Rules and Code of Conduct.

However, we do ask that you do not use the Private Messaging or built-in e-mail features on other forums to advertise this forum to others. Use private e-mail (or the telephone) instead. There has been a complaint from the owner of another woodworking forum that Private Messages from our members have been used on his site to promote our site. While he did not provide any evidence to back up this accusation, I think we're best off not giving him (or any other forum owner) any reason to make this kind of accusation in the first place.

So...feel free to promote this site to your heart's content, but please do it without using another forum's resources.

Thanks for your help on this -

- Vaughn
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Those of us with websites can help promote this forum by linking to it. This will direct some traffic to the site, and the inbound links will also boost the site's search engine rankings.

I placed a link on my site's links page.

Cheers,

Kevin

That's quite a website you have Kevin! It will take a while to browse through it!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Brady View Post
    Those of us with websites can help promote this forum by linking to it. This will direct some traffic to the site, and the inbound links will also boost the site's search engine rankings.

I placed a link on my site's links page.

Cheers,

Kevin
    Hi Kevin,

Glad to see you found your way here and joined the forum!

I've also added a link to Family Woodworking on my website.

Rick
    Rick in Cowichan Bay, B.C. Canada
    http://www.rickswoodworking.ca

I agree, but have a question!

If it is PRIVATE MESSAGES...............What the heck are they doing looking at them.

Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Shiverdecker View Post
    I agree, but have a question!

If it is PRIVATE MESSAGES...............What the heck are they doing looking at them.

Bruce
    Hi Bruce,

There is no option for Admins or anyone else to read other people's PMs in vB forum software, or any other forum software I am familiar with. However anyone with access to the database, and the skill to write or download a simple php program, could read them directly in the db. This pretty much applies to any program. The database administrator can do anything and is only limited by his/her skill and ability.

I do not believe that anyone in administration at the forum in question used this method to read PM's. The most likely method for any administrator to learn the contents of a PM not addressed directly to them is a simple one. A member receiving an unwelcome PM just forwards the PM to the Admin, Mod or to another member. This happens all the time on forums and is usually how someone finds out the contents of what the sender thought was a PM only to be read by the recipient.

rick
    Rick in Cowichan Bay, B.C. Canada
    http://www.rickswoodworking.ca

Just to be perfectly clear, I'm not saying or implying that any Private Messages were read nefariously on any site. As Rick mentioned, a forum owner is most likely aware of the contents of a message because it was forwarded to him, NOT because he was reading other people's mail or PMs. (Also, like Rick said, there is no easy way to do it with the software, so you'd need to write or hack code to get into the database.)

- Vaughn
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Why am I hearing the theme song "Secret Agent Man" when I read this?
    A very wise man once said.......
    "I'll take my chances with Misseurs Smith and Wesson. "

i would like to take the time to reiterate that this thread was started because the owner of another woodworking site PRIVATELY accused one of the members here at family woodworking of "spamming his members using their p/m system"
    it is impossible for any of us to know how this person came to that conclusion.....but rest assured that being an above board site is foremost on our adgenda, so we felt it was the right thing to do to relay these accusations to the members and guests of family woodworking and politely request that they not do what one of us was PRIVATELY accused of.
    as always, it is up to every person to respond or behave as they see fit, but please don`t defame anybody or any other site, there is absolutely nothing to be gained by doing so!
    my personal appologies to those who find this simple statement of fact and a request to "play nice" somehow agressive or offencive.
    tod
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

I can guarantee you with 100% certainty that no one at SMC has read any PM's other than those PM's sent to them. Numerous folks who received the PM's in question reported them to either one of the moderators or one of the SMC Admin folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Tod Evans
    it is impossible for any of us to know how this person came to that conclusion
    Not impossible - just takes common sense to understand that folks would report such activities.
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant